• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Newbie. Bike started, stopped, then not starting anymore

westside

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Just got my first MC today -- '78 750K.

See video --

I'm able to start and leave it idle, but it dies after 5 minutes of running. Then I'm unable to start again. Any tips?

Last edited:
It's been sitting almost 24 hours now. The same behavior as this video. Could it be electrical? Could it be gas? Were my steps to starting it incorrect?

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand... however, it sounds like you started it ONCE then it died, and won't start again. That being my assumption, and what appears to be an issue of no idiot lights coming on when the key is turned on and the starter button not doing anything (if I see the video correctly, all I hear appears to be wind)... first thing I'd do is check the fuses.

Thanks! I'll do just that! (Yes, windy afternoon.) :) The windjammer was removed from the previous owner, so I wondered it could be something electrical. I'll try just that.

I wouldn't worry about the jammer being off since you apparently had it started without it on, then it just died.

If I saw things correctly regarding the dash lights not coming on with the key switch, I'm sticking with electrical for now. Having a volt meter or test light could be helpful if something obvious doesn't jump out at you. Could be a loose connection vibrating loose... be sure the connections to the battery are tight, for instance.

While it was running did you do anything like check the turn signals or horn switch or anything as it died? What was the last thing you did after starting it?

I started it, rode it a few feet, then it died. I thought it may be just me being a newbie and releasing the clutch too quickly. Then I was able to start it again using the starter, then it stalled. Then the starter stopped working, so I used the kick-starter. The kick-starter worked and I just left it on idle. (I thought maybe the engine's cold and I needed to just let it run while it was on its center stand.) After a few minutes, everything just stopped. Kickstarter wouldn't work anymore. Left it sitting a few hours then I filmed it to show what's going on.

My seller will look at it tomorrow, and I'll update this post in case someone else has experienced the same thing.

I wanted to update the status of this bike. It turned out to be caused by a failing CHARGING SYSTEM.

Last edited:
Thanks, tommycarl. Looking forward to enjoying a ride on my first bike bigger than a 250CC. I appreciate your feedback and replies. It's great to discover a forum like this. My first goal will be to figure out how to change the seat cover to brown or the entire seat to something thinner than what it has now.

Back