• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Old Guy

chairdr

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I've been on 2 wheels since I had a flat-top in the late 60's. My first real bike after a slew of scooters was a 1970 Honda CL350 that I bought as a young PFC at the start of my 20 years & 18 wonderful days of military service. I have owned lots a bikes, including 2 CB750's, always got a wild hair and traded them off for some reason. The last time I could only ride it for about 40 minutes before I developed uncomfortable shoulder pain.

I now have an old man's bike, a 07 Suzuki 650 Burgman Executive that I can ride for hours. But I miss the sound and excitement of the 750. So I am looking for a decent CB750 to take an occasional short spin on but have a few questions before I drop the hammer. I do all my own maintenance. The main thing I am concerned about is the availability of parts.

What are my options when it comes to carb parts, mainly CV diaphragms? I notice there are lots of "obsolete part" listings in on-line part sources for 70 & 80's. Are there any other 'red-flag' areas I should be aware? I have noticed there seams to be an abundance of 1981 CBs available near Manhattan KS.

I'm not in a hurry to buy, but when I do run across a good buy, I want to be ready. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you are willing to share!

There are no CV diaphragms until after '83, the first DOHCs use all metal slides like the CB450 had. The pre '83s now are running out of all kinds of parts and body ones virtually impossible to get. Engine parts can still be had for the most part but changing quick now. The '79-83 750 is the same motor, even many parts off the bigger ones in those years fit as well. More commonality of parts there than any other sweep of Honda bikes except possibly the original 750 which ran for 9 years. The 750, 900, 1000, and 1100 DOHCs share plenty of parts.

I have found parts are readily available, they made many of these bikes. I have a one year wonder, the CX/GL650 and I find those parts around too... Try David Silver Spares (they are making stuff that ran out), try Vintage CB750 for consumables (and more)... I just had my carbs rebuilt and the shop had no problems getting everything they wanted... Ebay has tons and tons of parts, sometimes you need to watch for lower prices to stay away from gougers... of course it depends on the actual year, make and model... Just like AMC said, there are a lot of shared parts between several of these models too...

Just not looking yet for the correct parts. Try cam chain tensioners, even Silver having to get them custom made now and a fortune for them. Overseas buying is not cheap. The carbs came on 50 models and easy finding parts for them. Find me some new plastic bodywork parts, unobtanium there. OEM seats? We're fearing engine bearings will be NLA pretty soon. You can only get like one size of those now (yellow) as the other 4-5 have disappeared. Several one-off custom trans bearings now gone too. We just found a source for cam chains that didn't blow up at over 100 hp., been a problem for a good while. The ones you commonly get are garbage and blow up in stock motors. How about the OEM exhaust systems? Nope. Even the header makers are dropping out now. Used to be 10 or more now maybe 2-3?

Can you get everything? No... mostly, even if used from Ebay? Yes... only thing that isn't around are the OEM pipes as you said but there are plenty of aftermarket pipes available... It's debatable if they were worth anything they way they rusted up (design flaw?)... There are far more 750s and there is a market, folks like Silvers will make stuff, they have in the whole CX line... IMHO...

There are a lot of used parts though that are unacceptable for reuse, like the chain tensioners. Use them and blow the motor up. OEM used cams are usually junk too, especially the bigger lift popular ones. Yes, lots out there but plenty of pitfalls for the unwary too.........

To hell with those CV carbs! (no offense DOCH'rs LOL) stick wit the SOHC bikes. Unless your going for a full resto you'll find parts all over, many at your local Honda shop, and once in good shape the SOHC will run forever for an attentive owner.

LOL, I feel your pain................the CVs cost a solid 10 hp. hit over direct lift carbs. So, a 75 hp. 750 would have been closer to 85. Makes all the extra DOHC parts make more sense then. On a race DOHC 1100 direct carbs alone are worth 20 hp over CVs.

Thank you all so much for the tips! You have most likely saved me some bucks and alerted me of several areas to watch for in my 'quest.' Forums are like GPS devises - they make life easier! Thanks!

Back