• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New member, no bike- Need some advice!

lopejd01

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice.
I am considering getting a 70's cb750, I've always thought they looked beautiful. However, the more I read, the more I'm second guessing myself about whether it will be too large/powerful for me to ride. I've had my endorsement for about 3 years now. I completed the MSF course with no problem. I learned to ride on a xs650 in a parking lot but tore it down to rebuild before actual street riding (I'm still working on it). I've been blasting around on a cafed cl350 ever since but its beginning to become boring as it doesn't have the power to keep me excited. I'm defiantly a cautious rider and tend to take back roads and familiar routes. I'm only 5'8" though, the 350 almost sits too high for me and I have to tip toe it, luckily it is a light bike.

My questions is, with my limited experience/height, do you think this is a good choice for me? I'm also considering a cb550 if I decide this is too much bike for me but my fear is I will get bored with its power too and go back to wanting a 750 again. There have been many selling in my area around the $1500 range, one that looks to be in fantastic shape. Please give me some advice

The 750 definitely has a tall seat height, the 550 is much lower to the ground. The 550 does get around pretty good and has decent power it just likes to have more rpm's to get it going. The 750 is pretty heavy, the 550 is an all around smaller bike. I honestly think the 550 is a better choice for you right now...a couple year or two you may be looking for a bigger bike.

i would say go get a 750. if you are tippy toeing it pull the seat off and cut a couple of
inches of the foam off, reinstall the cover and away you go. these old bikes don't have much
horsepower unless it's been rebuilt and such. and even then, really? it's just my opinion but
based on your experience you seem like you can handle the 50 or 60 hp that the 750 may have.
it's not like you're looking to get a newer r6 or gsxr 750 or something.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get a 750 (if I can find one now). I went and looked at a nice 550, felt good when I sat on it but didn't seem like a much bigger bike than my 350. Unfortunately, all the nicely priced 750's that were in my area are now sold so I will have to play the waiting game before I find one in my price range.

Back