• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Muffler question

kal-el428

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 4 in to 1 exhaust with what I would call a stock muffler (see pic below)
I want to change out my muffler to something that is a just a little bit louder, but definitely not obnoxious. I would like a deep tone and not raspy.
Ideally, I would like the stock sound, just louder.
Any thoughts on a muffler choice?
4.jpg

Its riding season again here in Michigan and I am still wanting to change out my muffler for a bit more sound.
I have decided on a Mac slip on, # 001-1013.
However, I have found that this part number has two different styles.
Am I missing something here? How can I insure I order the one I want?

This pic is what I am talking about
JCM-001-1013.gif

I wouldn't cut that stock exhaust, they are worth some coin, not as much as the early 4 into 4 K exhaust, but still worth something. If that's what you want to do, I'd buy a whole new system, and put these stock ones on the shelf. Maybe sell or keep to give to the next owner.

No cutting needed, this is a slip on muffler.
In my pic I have added, just behind the foot peg is where I can remove my stock muffler.

Muffler

New exhaust.jpg
No cutting needed, this is a slip on muffler.
In my pic I have added, just behind the foot peg is where I can remove my stock muffler.

This is the one I have on my '78 Super Sport. It was still a little too quiet so I am experimenting with holes in the baffle.

Dang!
I am actually looking for the straight one, as I have saddlebags on my bike and I fill like the "Bent" muffler would not look right.

Back to my concern, how do I ensure that I am ordering one or the other if the part number is the same for both???

Still on the hunt for a muffler.

I still cant seem to find an 100% answer on the web about my original concern.
How do I ensure I am ordering the muffler I want if both styles appear to be the same part # 001-1013???
JCM-001-1013.gif

Ok, so I contacted Mac today to figure out what is going on with two different mufflers with the same part # 001-1013.
What I found out was that, 001-1013 is the part number for the muffler with the slight bend upwards (seen in the pic above)
The second, lower muffler (seen in pic above) is actually Part # 001-1113.
I was told that many distributers use the photos interchangeably to illustrate either part #, however, the two mufflers ARE NOT in fact interchangeable, each having a different inlet diameter.
001-1013 is for 75-76 CB750F
001-1113 if for 77-78 CB750F

Sorry about the misleading post they were not used on cb750,s I meant they make a wide array of pipes and mufflers just like Mac. I used them on a cb500four and recently 95 gl1500. I found one on ebay N.O.S. part number10750 ther no longer made.

Last edited:
Yeah, I found the muffler you are talking about on Ebay.
thats a bit pricey for just a muffler...

Any body else have muffler suggestions for a straight (not bent) muffler?

If Your present muffler is in decent shape I would just drill larger baffle openings in it, Most I,ve seen are held in with pop rivet that could be replaced when You get the sound You want. Done it on a few bikes. If the baffle is welded in just drill holes in the back plate.

Back