Modest '78 CB750 Build

the server was a bit glitchy, and my post got posted twice.....could NOT figure out how to delete a post...........A little help here too! Thanks

Last edited:
I use just regular straight feeler gauges as the clearance is small enough they bend easy through the holes. bent feeler gauges will make it easier but if you absolutely can not get them to go then you either dont have it on top dead center for that cylinder or the clearances are too tight. i dont use the sequence in the book i roll it over and do each cylinder individually.

I would be happy with the compression also, sounds to me like it is good to go.

You really need to get a carb sync setup of build 4 individual manometers to do the carb sync. A bench sync is just that...a bench sync. you need to adjust them to what the running motor wants. There still has to be an issue in your carbs that needs to be taken care of.

DD, thanks as always......as I said I'm thinking its a carb issue, probably beyond my skill set to fix. So, for now during the cod months I'll go back to doing the simple things I can do check timing, adjust valves, change fork oil etc. and make the bike look the way I want and in the Spring I will address the running issues again.

In that regard, I was thinking of changing the rear shocks. I've see a few inexpensive but cool looking ones on ebay....like these for example......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182227861625?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Keep in mind I'm not looking for ultimate performance, just good performance and a cool look......:)

More like it. I find myself wondering at the strength of the clevis if made of aluminum alloy. Can't tell from pic. And of course giving a spring rate is way too much to ask.................

Yeah, I Know AMC........never enough info...which is why I was hoping some one else has used them and with what success.

ON TO MY NEXT QUESTION!........I've been pulling the front end apart and found two parts that I have questions about....
The first one ( see photo) is a little black thing that looks like a speaker....it was attached on the inside of the left side headlight bracket.....Question...what the heck is it??? AND do I need it!

IMG_1907.jpg

Next question......there is a small "bracket" that spans the distance at the top of the forks just under the headlight. A chrome piece of trim is attached to it. Question Is this a just a bracket that holds the trim piece or does it help support the forks? AS always, your educated answers are appreciated!

IMG_1906.jpg

One...............turn signal tone generator or buzzer.

Two, not needed for forks per se, likely a stiffener for other things there, like brake hose support or horn, they have mounted both there at times.

AMC, you the best...........Thanks.........wishing you and yours, a very politically correct, Happy Holidays!

I'm gonna leave off the buzzer, these 66 year old ears will never hear it under a helmet and over the sound of the 4 into one exhaust! :)

That brace, well , I'll make sure the only thing it is holdin' is that chrome trim piece.........:thumbsup:

Forks are off, and I've begun to get them to look presentable again. Probably my favorite part of a build. I also drained the old oil, flushed with new oil and then filled them with ATF as the Chilton's calls for. I did not pull them apart any further nor did I change the seals. If it ain't broke don't fix it.....:laugh:

IMG_1928.JPG

You guys know how I have been whining and bitching on how bad the bike was running, right.
So, as I think I told ya, I ordered new coils and plug wires. I had already put on new plug caps and new plugs (which were duly set to the proper gap) a while ago, so it was not necessary to buy new ones. Here is the interesting part.....sometimes it is the SMALL THINGS that bite ya in the ass.

I go to install the new coils but just to be sure of every detail, I pull the plugs too to check the gap. AHHH HAAA! On three of the four plugs the gap had all but disappeared and the ground electrode was touching the center electrode. How did this happen you ask? Well I've taken the plugs out so many time to check them that sometimes i have dropped them. Who knew the of a falling plug can push the two electrodes together.

Bottom line....I installed the new coils, gapped and reinstalled the plugs and OH MY GOSH! This old beast is running GREAT! Took it for a test drive and these was no hesitation anywhere in the power band, idled at 1K and there was no snap crackle and pop from the exhaust. Of course that was with the 4 into one exhaust......I also had replaced the pods with the stock air box. Next, just for fun will pull the air box off and try the pods again.

Next step will be the carb balancing......

If all goes well, not much more to do on this project other than couch up some rusty spots on the frame, polish some aluminum, and go riding! ( as soon as the weather warms up!)

16195840_364559460590479_3623738702208121875_n.jpg

I was always taught you only drop a spark plug once..... and that is into the garbage can. Not only can you smash the gap shut but you can crack the porcelain on the outside and on the inside. Glad you got it running though...another one back on the road.

Yup sounds like a sohc 750 lol. Get those carbs synced and the chain rattle at idle should get quieter.

Roger that........the temp on the cylinders is still not as close as I would like. I'm assuming that has to do with carb sync.

Back