• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Light knocking sound, loose chain?

jacksondee

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey again,

1981 CB750F SS. Oh she's a good girl. But she has a few issues. Just got her 3 weeks ago. 17K miles..

There is all of a sudden a light knocking sound that seems to be coming from left side of bike in the footpeg area. I really don't think its internal. Its such a light sound, and really sounds so close, I bent down to see if the kickstand was knocking against the muffler.

Can the chain be too long or not adjusted properly? I feel like maybe there are a few things I can check externally before I really delve into 'engine knocking' etc. The carbs were serviced this past winter if that helps. The chain does look dirty and crusty, though as this is my first bike I don't know what its supposed to look like regularly. I'd figured it should look a little bit more 'shiny' like it has at least a little bit of grease on it. I've read in the manual about kerosene to clean it and what not..

Sounds like a drive chain binding or worn sprocket teeth. You need to keep the chain well lubed. It should not be crusty looking. Timing chain noise wont be specific to the left footpeg area it would be more center top of engine. Left footpeg points to the drive chain and or sprockets.

Sounds like a drive chain binding or worn sprocket teeth. You need to keep the chain well lubed. It should not be crusty looking. Timing chain noise wont be specific to the left footpeg area it would be more center top of engine. Left footpeg points to the drive chain and or sprockets.

I was worried the thing was going to explode while I was riding it. Took it to a shop with stellar reviews yesterday. The guy rides it for a second, confirms its a chain issue. Puts the bike in neutral and on its center stand. He starts spinning the back wheel and we realize its barely spinning. The chain is way too tight. Also crusty and old and the guy guesses its been on there at least 10 years. He says 'you can take it home carefully, loosen the chain for the time being, then order a new one and replace asap. Or you can pay me $40 plus $129 for the new chain and I'll have it done in an hour"

So I paid the man...

Back