• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Lack of Power from my engine

fatoldo

CB750 Member
Reaction score
1978 cb750 four k carbs.
hello all, I have rebuilt my carbs on my 78 cb750. the bike is back together and it runs. At first it had no power. then I adjusted the 4 carb screws till it seemed to have power. Rode it up and down the block a few times and all seemed fine. today, 2 months later i started the bike up. It started very easy. but after warming it up it didnt have enough power to get me up my drive way. Also one other thing. Before I started it i turned on the fuel valve. after a minute of it just sitting there gas started coming out of a hose. not sure what hose but it wasnt one of the bowl hoses.
History of the bike. I just got it last summer. it was running but again seemed to have no power which is why i took off the carbs. The bike sat since 2005 outside , uncovered till i bought it this past summer. its got 8k miles on it. it looks like hell but its all there and just needs TLC to make it nice again. I have rebuilt a carb or two on cars but never a bike. this was my first. I took them down to nothing and replaced all parts that came in the kits. As it is now, the set screws are turned out about 4 to 5 turns. It seemed to run the best this way 2 months ago. I thought it was a bit much (the4 or 5 turns out) but it seemed to like it. The original way i found the bike it was 3 turns out on the screws.

any ideas?

If it has set for 2 months you will probably find the jets to be partially clogged again and float needle is hung up by bad gas. Idle screws should be around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out, if not you have other issues going on. Did you sync the carbs? Did you set the float levels? Did you remember the o-rings that go in under the springs on the idle screws?

The more I am reading threw all the post of others here, the more I see there are more things I need to do. I did sync the carbs. I was not able to see a difference as I turned the set screws. Which makes me think there is still something wrong or something I missed. I think its time to rebuild again. I also think its out of my capability. I may research some one who does this. Bikes are all new to me. Only been riding a few years and so far they have all been brand new bikes. My bike I ride now is a Victory KingPin, fuel injected. No carbs. But im not giving up on this project bike.

Back