• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

No Power 77 CB750

hicorky

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’m new to motorcycling and got a cb750 as a way to both learn how to ride and develop mechanical skills. My first major issue popped up yesterday when I went for a ride when my bike completely lost power. I wasn’t riding thankfully and had some friends to try and help jump the bike, but nothing. No lights will turn on and the fuse hasn’t blown. At this point, I think it could be a million thing and Im pretty much out of ideas. Any suggestions other then just taking it to a shop?

Test the fuses. The fusible link in the glass fuses can detach from the metal end cap but leave the strip inside intact. Check continuity across the fuses, if they check out ok then set the voltmeter to 12vdc and start tracing. Electrical issues are often a logical progression of finding out what it's NOT. :cool:

What year? How many miles? Was it stored outside? Sometimes the electrical portion ignition switch can degrade to the point of intermittent or complete failure. Have you tried jiggling the key in the ignition switch? Could be a bad ground. Check the ground connecting cable between the battery and the rear upper right motor mount. Any corrosion there?

You wanted to learn, so this is your golden opportunity. Not too many shops will treat you fairly on this one I'm afraid, unless you know a knowledgeable mechanic personally. Electrical issues can take many hours of troubleshooting that can jack up the labor costs quickly.

EZPZ

Check the kill switch and make sure you didn't bump it by accident. That happened to my wife once, and she'd been riding her own bike for probably 40 years at that point.

Completely forgot about the kill switch, but if that were the case the lights would still work. I've overlooked the kill switch once or twice myself! ;)
Yeah, she did too. It's a good tale involving a rather large Tennessee State Trooper (who apparently loved motorcycles) and a Harley with 16" ape hangers and straight pipes.

Back