"Knocking" noise only while leaning bike to the left??

DLast7

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Yes I'm a newbie, yes I searched, hence I finally joined this forum.

I cannot figure out why my K3 makes a "knocking" noise only while leaning left, the noise is the worst when it's on the kick stand. I'm not sure what to check for... I'm worried it's in the transmission or engine area. I can stand the bike upright and the noise goes away and stays away, same while leaning right, only happens when I lean the bike to the left.

My dilemma is I have been working on this K3 for a while now, I'm finally ready to ride, however this noise is still around. I accessed the generator, and starter area and couldn't find any issues, it sounds like it's coming right from the outer left side of the engine/generator/transmission area. Not sure what to look for or search for. Just wondering if anyone on here has had a similar issue or has heard of this issue?

I've never heard of this issue before...I've never noticed it on my '75... kinda makes me wanna go try and see if I can make it do it...

I'm at a lost, like I said I'm wondering if it's internal in the transmission or engine, I thought at first it was with the starter, as far as it not returning ,and binding up on the flywheel but there wasn't much damage on the teeth of both flywheel, and gear,reduction coming off of the starter. CB750Todd, you're bike probably won't make the noise because it isn't broke lol

Hi! I get the same, and nobody on the forums in europe seems to get an answer... I'm thinking to a broken clip on one of the transmission shaft, which let one of the gear move to the left.... here the noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mobXuoTgIs

Please help us! Mine is a K7, and react exactly as described in this thread.

Last edited:
Does the noise go away if you pull in on the clutch?

dirtdigger, the noise does not go away with the clutch pulled in. The noise will even happen while turning/leaning to the left :/

If the transmission works in all gears with no problems or jumping out I would put transmission issues farther down on the list. If you had the alternator cover off did you check crankshaft end play? If it has a lot of miles possible the primary chains and/or timing chain are getting worn and slapping around. Try adjusting the timing chain first and see if it helps. No noise if you lean to the right??

There seemed to be no play in the crankshaft. The noise does not happen while balancing upright and doesn't happen while leaning to the right. I still need to adjust the timing chain after winter breaks. Also note that while the bike is running on the kick stand (leaning left) after a light free rev, on the decel the bike will almost lunge forward..I'm worried it's a tranny issue. The knocking noise comes from the rear by the tranny. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
If it is trying to lunge forward then it is an issue in the tranny. Probably a worn or bent shift fork. Only way to do any work to the tranny is to split the cases.

I'm new to the forum, and trying to get more knowledge on older bikes. It sounds like an engine oil displacement problem to me. I suggest using a stethoscope and locating an exact location of the noise. Thats sound more like a tic than a knock to me. Could be dry valves. The kickstand allows to the bike to lean excessively low which would dispurse the oil unevenly. Does it do it when you lean it in the exact or close to exact same angle to the right?

Back