• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

K2 transmission is jerky and making noise. Clutch problem or worse?

Tobysdad

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Brand new to the forum but have been riding old Hondas for about 15 years.

I have a 1972 CB750 K2 with 28,000 miles that I just completed a restoration. The only engine work I did was clean the carbs, sync, timing, plugs and oil change.

When I first started the engine without a chain I shifted through the gears. As I got into 3rd gear and higher a clanking noise could be heard. Almost like the front sprocket is loose. The noise would go away when I pulled in the clutch and things would smooth out. Thinking that it was because I didn't have a chain and tire to help balance things I then tried it on the center stand with a chain. Yup, it continued to be jerky and making that awful noise. I rode the bike down the street and the transmission is jerky unless I pull in the clutch.

The bike seems to pull strong and I don't notice any slipping of the clutch. There is the usual clutch chatter noise when the engine is running and it goes away when the clutch is pulled in.

It seems to shift through the gears with no problem.

I'm hoping it's just a worn/broken clutch. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Back