• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

I'm stumped :( K3

Robby368

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the vintage scene. Grew up on dirt bikes, then moved into sport bikes. But now that I'm slowing down with age, I picked up this old gal.

Here's my issue. I lost all power. No dash lights, headlight, ignition, horn, etc when I turn on the ignition switch (new aftermarket). The bike WAS working just fine, I could crank it up (kick start only). I checked the ignition switch harness with a continuity tester, and it apperars to be working. I've never worked on a vintage so this is new territory.

It has new battery and always on battery tender.

What ways can I verify ignition harness? And if that's not the issue, what would cause total elec failure?

Thanks in advance! Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I've only ridden her once in the 2 1/2 years I've had it :(

2012-11-13 15.43.24.jpg

first thing i would think is the ground or main fuse. if your new battery was weak you would still have something if it is grounded.if the main fuse is bad something made it blow,gonna have to find the reason why. you mentioned an aftermarket switch,,if the grounds and fuse check out then disconnect the wires from the switch and test to see if any power is there. troubleshooting is just a process,start simple and go from there one thing at a time. here is a very simplified diagram to help understand the relations of the wires,if too small click and it will open larger
simple_wiring_diagram.jpg

also here is a link to a interactive diagram of a stock harness
http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/wiring750K1.html

Thanks for the reply! That info will be very useful, I saved the diagrams.

It turns out I got fooled by the main fuse, I checked it five times! It wasn't burnt or popped, but failed under the metal end and I couldn't see it!

But more good news, while looking for the problem, I found the tail light wire had a bare spot, which I'm assuming touched the frame.

Back