• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Identifying my CB750C with SOHC motor

Someone has put the vin tag from an '81 CB750 Custom onto a CB750F. Is your bike registered as an '81 CB750 Custom? How long have you had the bike? Did the person that sold you the bike tell you about this problem? It could be a stolen bike.

Well that steering stem stamp verifies that it is not a 1981, the stamped number doesnt match the riveted tag. The stem number and engine number are both correct for a 1978 f model.

Good idea Brett. The fact that the VIN has been changed is a big red flag. Somebody was trying to cover up something.

Alrighty - compared the #s: looks like I have a 1978 CB750F3...with a 1981 CB750C identity plate slapped on the frame. My frame and engine serial numbers seem to be aligned to the '78 CB750F3. I think I'm in good shape. I'm not going to try to unwind the registration issue unless my DMV "requests" I do so ;)

Thanks again for the pointers, folks. I'm off to order barn-find restoration parts...

Back