hondabond in engine?

1972cb750

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys im new here... I have a 1972 CB750 and I have been battling an oil leak for months now and just recently realized its coming out of my stator wires (the rubber grommet is cracked and some is even missing)...

I took off the stator cover and rubbed a generous bead of Hondabond all over the rubber grommet where the wires run through... Ive used it for the last few days and it finally is 100% leak free...

but my question is, should I be concerned about my generous bead of hondabond falling off and clogging up an oil passage way? or will it just get caught in the oil pump screen or oil filter?

does the oil from the stator chamber go to any where else important before being filtered? I could take it off and try using less/something else but that leak called for desperate measures.

Hondabond is the preferred sealant to use. NEVER use RTV...it will soften and fall off and plug the oil passages to the head. I guess it depends on what your "generous" bead is and how much squeezed out. Hondabond is made to seal tighter surfaces and not made to take up a big gap. If a big enough clump of it got squeezed inside, there is always a possibility it will fall off because it is designed to be used as a thin gasket or gasket sealant.

Ok thanks that's what I was afraid of... So the head doesn't recieve its oil directly from the oil filter? I tried studying the oil flow diagram but couldn't figure it out but I was initially under the impression that by the time oil made it to the stator chamber it didn't have much pressure from the oil pump (so it couldnt be forced up the head passageway) and was already destined to the scavenger pump?

But if that's not the case does anyone have any better ideas how to fix a destroyed wire grommet? The only other option I could think of is buy an entirely new stator

Yes oil is filtered to the head, it is fed directly to the head from the main oil gallery. The problem with RTV is it gets very stretchy and slimy from oil contact. It passes through the oil pump screen easily. The oil filter on the 750 bypasses a fair amount of oil when oil is cold and thick or when the filter starts getting restricted. Dirty oil is better then no oil in an engine...lesser of two evils. Automotive engines are the same way as are any spin on oil filter so its not a flaw or defect in the 750. The problem comes because there are two oil restricting orifices to the head in the 750 and they are very easily blocked and RTV has been found to be the worst thing for causing blockage because of its ability to find its way past screens and filter bypasses.

I have bought rubber corks and carved my own grommets because you can not buy them separately. It takes some time to carve but you get a new grommet in the process and save a lot of money.

Back