• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Getting my first bike, 1975 CB750

dirtymike1

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

As the title states I am looking at picking up my first bike in a couple of weeks if all works out. I found a 75 CB750 for sale and while it seems like its in good shape, it does need a few things. The seller says that it idles, revs and shifts fine. He also cleaned the carbs recently and has them synced. The bike has made into a chopper decades ago he said, but it doesn't look like more than a new seat and the rear being lowered. Other than that it looks like the rest is stock from what I can tell. Now, for what it needs.

Tires - The seller says that it will need tires before going on the road. This is fine by me but I have no idea what type of tire to put on it. I have called around locally and looked online and it seems that there are two options for it, either Dunlop K70's or 404's. It looks like it has the factory wheels on it so I am assuming they are tubed tires and these two seem to be the most popular models. Since I am just trying to get it into riding condition which do you recommend? I do plan on turning it into a cafe racer down the road, but I just want to learn to ride this summer.

Front brake - The front brake needs to be bleed and is missing a caliper bolt. Bleeding the brakes is something I know how to do from working on cars, is bleeding on a bike any different? I figured I would just do a gravity bleed on it and call it a day. Any website you can recommend for finding brake hardware? I'm not going to order parts till I know exactly which bolt is missing but I'll start to look and price out parts now.

Fork Seals - The fork seals are leaking and need to be resealed. I found a walk through on doing it online and it seems like it will take an afternoon to do the job. It was recommended by a friend to replace the fork springs will I am in there since the factory ones are more than likely worn out. He said to look for stiffer springs or anti dive springs, any recommendations for those? Also, any recommendations on fork oil? I am pretty handy and used to work on cars for a living so I know how to turn a wrench but do you recommend taking the bike to a shop to have the seals done or is it something I can take on myself? Like I said, I found the walk through and it doesn't look to bad of a job but I just want to make sure.

That seems to be about it, I plan on getting it back into riding condition to learn on this summer. Once I pick it up I'll know if there is more I need to do to it but the seller seems to be really honest and up front about what it needs. Sorry for the wall of text but I know I will have more questions along the way!

Here is the one picture that I have for it right now, the seller is going to take some more over the weekend for me.

3K53Ga3Hd5I35Eb5H4d3vdf4e65298a0a1d0c.jpg

Last edited:
best way to bleed vintage calipers is to take them off, pump them out a ways, get a c clamp and push them back in with the line on top. this will save you the agony of looking at a broken bleeder that did not have to be turned. do it twice and bolt it together, your done.

I like to use a vacuum brake bleeder because it can be hard sometimes to get all the air out because you have to force it down. Gravity bleeding doesnt always get all the air out because there is a brake pressure switch mounted to the bottom triple clamp where the two hoses come together and it will trap some air bubbles. I really like to use a brake bleeder then pump the brakes then use the brake bleeder again to work all the air out. I like using Service Honda for any OEM Honda parts, one of the cheapest places and there shipping is fast, I have never had a problem with them.

Fork seals are fairly easy. The springs can be changed at any time and you dont need to disasseble the forks to change the springs. You can change them mounted on the bike. They pull right out the top tube when you take the top nut off. Just make sure the front of the bike is supported under the motor so the front end hangs free. Fork oil weight is something you can use to tune your suspension. Different weight gives different damping in the fork. Honda spec for fork oil is 10w-30 oil. I have used anywhere from 10w to straight 30w.

Keep looking for tires, there are better ones out there. Yes original spoke wheels are tube type tires.

Welcome to the site!

When working on brakes on any bike over 10-15 years old, it's a good idea to pull them completely apart and clean them (in my opinion). Pulling the pistons out of the calipers is not hard to do and then you can inspect the seal and clean the crud out of the calipers. Pulling apart the master cylinder can be a little more difficult with the cir-clip, but it's doable. I'd replace the 38 year old brakes lines as well.

Fork seals are pretty easy to do. Make sure the fork tubes are clean and not pitted or they'll just leak again. I'd use 10wt fork oil and change it later if you want to play around and tune the front end.

Be sure you do the fork seals before doing the brakes. You'll probably need to replace the brake pads since they are likely contaminated with brake fluid. Don't make the mistake of rebuilding your brakes first and then having your leaky forks ruin your new pads. (been there)

If you're going to cafe it later, and are concerned about the look of the tires, you might as well get the tires you want now so you don't have to change them a year from now.

:twocents:

Well never mind on this one, the seller just called me and told me that he cannot get a title for it. He said that it appears that a previous owner had tried to re-chisel the VIN number on the frame and the courthouse cannot take it so now this bike is just for parts and nothing else.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm going to keep looking for a CB750 and if I find another one I will be back on here to let you all know.

Mike if you want to buy that bike cheap, and make the drive here I will give you a 76 cb750 frame free. its not got a title, but the numbers are good.

Back