• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Define 'Good Brakes'?

zanthor

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when I got my 78 CB750K the front brakes didn't have any juice in them, there was a rag tied around the master cylinder, and when I asked the PO why he said it was to stop brake fluid from getting on his dress pants... Since then I've torn the whole 9 yards down and built it back up. I replaced the Caliper Seal, the piston appeared to be in good condition, though I didn't measure it while I had it apart, nor did I measure the ID of the caliper. I don't have signs of fluid leaking around that seal and the brakes release cleanly, so I don't think I have an issue there.

On the top end I cleaned and rebuilt the master cylinder, and have bled the brakes til I get a firm and consistent lever.

Brakes are good enough I passed the skills test standards for Iowa (18-20mph then hard stop within a certain distance, I don't know what it was, but they said it was good.)

On the other hand I'm very inexperienced when it comes to this sort of thing, so I'd like to know they are all they can be. So what's a good way to test and what is a good standard?

I also assume things like my entirely squishy front end impact braking significantly.

I think that the condition of the rotor would have some impact. My rear disk has lots of ridges and I am going to see if I can have it surface cut at the next opportunity. Also, I have seen magazine articles talking about changing to EBC sintered pads.

Back