• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cylinder Head but tightening sequence

Crashklyd

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Brand new here.

Putting the cylinder head back on my 96 CB750 Knighthawk engine. I have the manual, but it simply states to "remove nuts in a crisscross pattern" and then the reverse for installation. With older cb's there is a specific sequence for tightening the cylinder head nuts. Does this not apply to the DOHC 750? If anyone has the correct sequence it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Crash

Which manual? Look elsewhere in it, they ALWAYS have a sequence there somewhere. Sometimes it's with a torque spec page somewhere else.

Or maybe not.

If the service manual online then they have left out stuff all over the place, literally half the specs there are blank line only. Honda may be going to self-protection techniques like so many other OEMS are, they want you to mess it up then they charge you megabucks to fix it.

Like car service manuals now that are written for 4 year olds, if you don't have the monthly update discs from the company you are up the creek with no paddle.

We are going stupid in tech now, where have you been? Been going on for some 20 years now.

Last edited:
Thanks Amc49,

The service manual I have definitely does not have this information. I've searched online as well, but no info. Unfortunately I live in a place where I cannot walk down to the local shop and ask the mechanic for advice. If anyone has a manual with the correct information on what sequence to tightened up the head nuts ID greatly appreciate the help.

Crash

The rule of thumb is to start with the bolt closest to the center and travel in a circular rotation. With the aluminum block be VERY careful you don't over torque them. Start with a 1/3 of the final spec and work up. When I did mine I had a few that felt "mushy"... I stopped a few pounds short of the full torque spec.

The 750 engine hasn't really changed much over the years. The picture is low res but you can see numbers in the cam journals (After you click on it to see it full size). Make sure the threads and surfaces where nuts touch head have oil on them then tighten them in 3 incremental passes (as PJ said) 10, 20, then final.

Capture.JPG

From the center out like they say and in a circle that gets bigger and bigger, or an increasing X that alternates opposite corners. Look up all the 750 torque specs you can on different models and then average them out. Use the DOHC ones as the SOHC has different head construction. Look at a few Kawasakis and Yamahas as well. You should get some idea of a torque spec............the one picced there is a '79-'83 Honda DOHC one.

Back