Cam question.

750jim

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I lost a cylinder on my bike the other day, I have a low mile honda-matic top end to swap on to it and I know the cam is a much less agressive grind than the 5 speed cams. For cams I could put back my 1975 cam or I have a F2 motor thats frozen but the cam is nice (another low mile motor), I have heard the F2 was supposed to be a "hotter" engine. Anybody have any thoughts?

The f2 cam can be used but you really need to degree it with a degree wheel because it has more lift and duration but the actual timing is retarded(late) compaired to the k motors and it is easier to have the pistons kit the valves if not checked properly. I would just drop in the K cam or get an aftermarket cam if you are looking for a hotter cam. What do you mean by lost a cylinder? Do you know the cause so it doesn't happen again?

I wish I had the funds to just buy a new cam for it, but its not in the cards anytime soon. I havent torn it down yet but it has no compression on one cylinder and sounds like its all blowing out the exhaust, no smoke though. The spark plug in that cylinder always had more carbon buildup on it than the rest of them.

Have you checked to see if the valve is being held open by having no valve clearance? It more than likely will still need to be replaced along with the seat in the head or just use a different head. Could be excessive carbon holding the valve open too but then you have to determine the cause of the carbon...guides or rings.

I checked the clearance in hope of a quick fix but the clearance is where it is supposed to be, I am ordering a gasket kit and will be tearing it down soon. I was hoping the F2 cam would just be a "drop in" type of deal, I had read that the cam timing was retarded but the lift and duration were a little bit better than my cam so I wasn't sure if it would even provide any more performance than my 1975 cam.

It would be less of a hassle to just use the 1975 cam than the f2 cam. Let us know what you find when you get it apart.

Pictures dont work, maybe Travis will be able to fix it so they come up.

2nd try with the pics. IMG_0478.jpgIMG_0479.jpg

Back