• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rebuilding Master Cylinder

zanthor

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any guides or advice for how to rebuild my master cylinder? I was looking at it today and couldn't figure out how the heck I'm supposed to get it apart...

Special tools needed or something?

Thanks,

At one point I saw a youtube on it. Look at the parts diagram. There should be a circa clip holding a rubber boot, then a snap ring holding the plunger in. Then everything should pull out.

Capture.JPG

I could see the rubber boot, couldn't see anything else... I'll have to get it under better light I suppose.

While I'm asking questions, can you validate my thoughts on why I'm rebuilding the master cylinder...

The front brakes are working and I've bled them until no more air bubbles come out, but despite my best efforts they remain squishy. I suspect the master cylinder has a bad seal somewhere in it that's pushing fluid when I compress it, but isn't holding enough pressure to be fully effective.

I'm also going to replace the caliper seal, I had that apart this weekend and the piston appears to be in pretty good shape, not perfect but damn close. I hit it with some wet 800 grit to polish the spots that weren't perfect and it seems to work better when I put it back together than before.

It's kinda a PIA to put the thing all back together. I turned up a bushing to get everything all in the right place and in line to push it into the hole. Made it a lot easier.

Are there any guides or advice for how to rebuild my master cylinder? I was looking at it today and couldn't figure out how the heck I'm supposed to get it apart...

Special tools needed or something?

Thanks,

Very important to buy a good set of LONG circlip removers. The junky ones at Harbor don't reach. That is the only special tool needed.

The clip on mine was so crudded up pliers weren't going to help. I got mine apart with a long pick and it just folded over. A clip in decent shape will shoot across the shop with my method.
Dime City and CB750.com sell the pliers for a pretty reasonable price.

None of the snap ring pliers I could find would do the job, I was able to get the clip out with a few assorted picks, one started straight and now has a nice useful S curve on the end... Rebuilt the master cylinder and replaced the seal on the caliper along with new brake pads and the stopping is notably better now. I still need to bleed it out a bit better but ran out of time so that will have to happen tomorrow.

bleeding brakes

None of the snap ring pliers I could find would do the job, I was able to get the clip out with a few assorted picks, one started straight and now has a nice useful S curve on the end... Rebuilt the master cylinder and replaced the seal on the caliper along with new brake pads and the stopping is notably better now. I still need to bleed it out a bit better but ran out of time so that will have to happen tomorrow.

i just did my brakes and learn one good thing. Take your calliper off and put them above your master cylinder and pump up.
put a spacer between the pads .It will cut your bleed off time and frustration big time on getting the air out.

Back