• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1982 Freddie Spencer REPLICA

899ccs

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to share a story about the replica I owned nearly 40 years ago. Although it may be just too long for this forum.
It is such an incredible story that maybe I'll start it and see if the forum wants more...
It's 1987. I chance accross a listing for a CB750 for sale. It says open superbike CB750. I had recently had a bad crash on my CB900f and wanted something similiar. I drive to a very bad neighborhood in Seattle and meet a young Japanese man named Darryl. He throws open his tiny garage and there sits not one, but two beautiful 82 CB750Fs. A blue framed one and a red framed one. I purchase the Red framed one for 2k cash. Get on it and ride it home. It runs awful as it is set up for the track and the gearing is so tall I immediately snap the drive chain. This wrecks the counter shaft cover which was customized as well. Luckily for me I was dating the daughter of University Honda in Seattle and she sent a truck to pick up the bike.
The tech in the shop installs new gearing for the street and fabs up a nice new cover. I pick it up and ride it home. Runs poorly. I call Darryl and he asks me to drop it by his place so he can sync the carbs and tune it for the new gearing...I agree. Two days go by. I have been the owner of this machine for about two weeks. Darryl calls says its ready. As I drive up to his place I can hear the bike shrieking through the neighborhood, he rounds his corner and powerlifts the bike past me then turns around and pulls up to me. He dismounts and mutters something to the effect "OMG never had ridden it with street gears."I take the bike and ride it home, its dark and cold so i take it easy. I have no idea how special this bike really is. I was too young and stupid to realize. I am only 23 years old. The very next day the weather is nice and I go for a ride with my best buddy on his Brand new Suzuki GS750ES. I do not recall any of the ride except the terrible accident that ocurred just as it was getting dark. Continue??
spence.jpg

Last edited:
Okay...thank you.....
So ...my friend Sean and I are coming into Silverlake a suburb north of Seattle. Traffic is heavy. The arterial is 4 lanes , two south two north and a turn lane in the middle. We are approaching the main traffic signal in the inside lane nearest the turn lane at approx. 45 mph. Heading South. Sean is on my right and slightly behind. Suddenly a two wheel drive standard cab Toyo pickup darts out of a driveway attempting to get in the turn lane to merge into the North bound lanes.
He stops dead in front of us. I grab the front brake .I feel the front Pirreli Dragon begin to slide away. I impact the trucks left front fender a nano sec later.

The impact is violent. Violent enought to bend the right side Superbike bars straight down as I am ejected.

Seattle has some pretty horrific drivers. Florida's are worse, unfortunately.

I apologize, I am only able to save it on here as a PDF. I created the doc in Trio and when I tried to copy and paste it ...it was horrible and unreadable.
I tested the PDF and it opened up fine with the images and looked good . This is probably a ten minute read. I promise you will enjoy it.

Attachments

• SPENCEDRAMA.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Back