• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1979 drum brake lever linkage

loxley007

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone post a picture or two of the linakage between the brake drum rod and the rearset? I’m specifically looking for how the spring attaches to the plate, where the plate attaches to on the frame and the general orientation of the brake spindle.

Also, can anyone show me where the brake light spring/switch attaches to the bike. It looks like there is some sort of bracket on the frame but can’t see it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Basically, the question can anyone show a photo of these parts connected to the bike?

Attachments

• IMG_5064.png
    IMG_5064.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 25
Double springs? Something is wrong there even though the springs are in the right place. Perhaps a previous owner lost the original spring and replaced it with two that weren't a match?

The factory (single) spring goes between that rear tab on the frame and the top hole in the brake lever.

There is another spring without hooks on either end, a simple helical spring, that provides pressure against the adjustment wing nut on the end of the brake linkage rod. That's near the drum itself.

Yeah, I did see that. Lol. Not sure which PO, or backyard mechanic did that, but I haven't gotten around to changing that, yet. I finally solved all oil leaks and the fork leak, and now I have a 1978 CX500 that wasn't running and I had to pull the heads off the get the crank to spin. As I get that bike wrapped up, I'll look at that spring.

Back