• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1979 coils

I remember when I was in the motor trade we always knew when a car was used only for short journeys as when it came in for servicing and the valve cover came off it would be thick with emulsified oil, we called it mayonnaise!
Now I don't know how much ethanol there is in UK petrol, it was foisted on us by the damn EU. Maybe we can be rid of it when we leave that madhouse. Your phrase "that far North" make me laugh, I am not above the Arctic Circle you know :laugh: Ride safe & catch you later.

But you are far enough north to know condensation; here in Texas it's virtually unknown.

I've been formulating another theory for a while now concerning people who mod these DOHC to remove the OEM airbox, it seems to give more trouble based on geographical and worse the further north you seem to go. Verdict still out but it seems to lean that way.

Here in Texas the ethanol % is legally at 10 but commonly they when checked show up to 20% all the time as it is cheaper to tilt the fuel with ethanol and the mileage drops as well to scam the public even more. They get you coming and going. The OEMs here now routinely check ethanol % with all warranty repairs as it is a quick way to deny warranty and demand cash for any fuel system repairs.

Hi, Interesting idea, colder air is denser than warm/hot air so perhaps more air is drawn in cooler climes? That would give a leaner mixture perhaps upsetting things a bit? I don't know much about the aero dynamics of air boxes, but having read your pieces about pod filters I will be keeping away from them! UK carbs are different to US carbs in they don't have the accelerator pump and jet sizes differ too.
I checked the % of ethanol for UK petrol and at present it's at 5%, enough to damage glass fiber tanks and such. A load of nonsense dreamed up by a bicycle rider in some lab in Brussels! Roll on Brexit I say! Ride safe, catch you later.

Pod filters work GRAND on direct lift carbs, it's the CVs they cause issue with. And some CV (rubber diaphragm types) do better than others. The early DOHC labyrinth type leak so much even new at the positive pressure/negative pressure interface it is hard to get the slides to lift when the airbox impulse sharing is dropped like pods do.

No accel pumps needed on Euro stuff as the idle and off-idle circuits on those are richer and don't need it.

Back