• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Best way to get engine back in

Steve P

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm currently restoring a CB750KZ - frame is bare and powder coated and the engine is almost ready to go back in after a complete strip down.
Has anyone any experience on the best way to get the engine back in? Previous restores i've jacked the engine into the frame but i'm seeing people who lie the frame down over the engine. Any experience and/or advice anyone?

I did this a few months ago with my CB750 K5. I did the lie on the side method. Used wood blocks to get the engine on the side level and lowered the frame down on top. Took some wiggling, but was able to get the mounts to line up, then a couple of mount bolts and I could get it upright again. Then I had the wife help me get it up on the center stand and some wood blocks.
20131006_164155_zps11d1377f.jpg

Thats great - thanks for the info. I'm going to try that method. Getting it out of the frame was hard enough with the Jack method so i wasnt looking forward to putting it back in - your method looks easier, thanks again.

Yeah puttting the frame on the engine is much easier than lifting the engine into the frame, i used painters tape on the frame tubes to minamize marks and scratches on the fresh paint too.

I used some black flexible plastic plumbing pipe to protect the freshly painted frame on my bike. I cut it to lengths that matched the frame cradle rails. I slit the plastic hose using a hack saw and worked it over the frame tubes and used zip ties to keep the plastic pipe in place while the engine was being installed. I think that the engine weighs about 160 lbs or more. I lifted mine onto a plastic milk crate, took some deep breaths and put it in. I then removed the black plastic pipe from the frame rails.

It is easier if you remove the exhaust flanges that screw into the head.

Back