Pulled the brake levrl and the power cutoff

ciaochaz

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

I just restored a 1980 CB750K and she was running fine. She was sitting in the driveway idling and I pulled the brake lever and all power shut off. No lights on the display, no headlight. Like the main fuse had blown. So I checked the main fuse and the fuses in the headset and all were fine. The battery is fully charged. A couple days ago I cleaned out the ignition switch and it is moving free and working correctly. When I pulled the brake lever it was like a switch was toggled to off and now there is no power. Any ideas? Thanks in Advance.

-Charlie

Attachments

• 20190809_154319.jpg
    20190809_154319.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 106
I just went down and connected the battery after about 45 minutes and she lit up! I tried to start her once or twice (my brand new battery is crap) and same as before, no power. So I tried jumping it and still no power. So I'm thinking grounding issue. I had pulled the starter yesterday to clean it up. I'm thinking I mucked something up in there. I'll check it out later and let ya all know the outcome.

It WAS the main fuse.

So I think when I initially removed the starter a bunch of 25 year old powdery gunk from the spinny part lumped onto the workings and shorted out the main fuse. I pulled the starter apart, cleaned up the insides, reinstalled, wired-in a 30 amp blade fuse and viola!

It turns out the intermittent power I was experiencing was the hairline break in the fuse that would momentarily make contact.

That main fuse is a joke. I replaced mine exactly like you only some 30 years ago when I touched the main and it simply crumbled into dust to have nothing there. One second it was there, then it didn't exist any more.

Back