• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Electronic ignition recommendation ?

Stratmanx

CB750 Member
Reaction score
With the issues with crappy points / condensers I should probably just go ahead and convert over to electronic ignition.

Are there any recommendations for a reliable manufacturer / model for a reliable, set and forget system that can deal with the heat generated from the engine in that area ?

Will it still be able to use the stock coils ?

My bike is a 1977 CB750F2 Supersport.

Thanks all !

With the issues with crappy points / condensers I should probably just go ahead and convert over to electronic ignition.

Are there any recommendations for a reliable manufacturer / model for a reliable, set and forget system that can deal with the heat generated from the engine in that area ?

Will it still be able to use the stock coils ?

My bike is a 1977 CB750F2 Supersport.

Thanks all !
Well my 78 still has original points and plugs and still runs like a clock at 25,000 km. They still look fine. Some days I think about getting electronic ignition but have no reason to rush!

Well my 78 still has original points and plugs and still runs like a clock at 25,000 km. They still look fine. Some days I think about getting electronic ignition but have no reason to rush!
I have had good results with stock ignitions as well, but they can introduce a whole lot of variables simply due to the number of moving parts. Even if everything is properly assembled the increasing proliferation of substandard components can leave you chasing your tail. Then if the connections are made on the wrong side of the fiber washers you are shorting out the ignition further curbing sparkage. I agree that understanding the stock ignition is good knowledge to have and being able to set one up is a useful skill. I can set up the points ignition with a continuity tester and be within one or two degrees of proper timing. I can also set up an electronic ignition with a voltmeter with similar accuracy. It just depends on how much time and effort one is willing to spend learning and understanding how to properly install and set up a points ignition without any real practical experience hoping that the components you've chosen are going to be up to the task, or "set and forget" an electronic ignition and go riding...

I prefer the latter, although my OCD often leads to the former!

For sure they are simple if you know them. I saw lots of issues on the old snowmobile engines and cars. I still have all the goodies- dwell meter, timing light, dial indicator. I remember we used to buy a $10 kit to get rid of points on lawnmowers. It sure worked wonders. The 750 just hasn’t had any issues in the 45 years Ive owned it. Maybe the original Honda stuff was better than replacement parts? Some day I will get electronic ignition for it since there is no denying that it is better.

Back