chain lube info

notn

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Have checked the site for a thread on chain lube but didn't see anything. I have an issue here that would not be a issue to most but with thee trike I am dealing with a jackshaft which the chain is 42 links. it run 3 sprockets therefor it is in contact with a sprocket almost constantly giving it no friction free time to cool down. with that in mind it getsuper hot which heats up sprocket and so forth. anyone have any suggestions of a GOOD durable chain lub that won't just burn off? so far the spray on stuff just int working..any help would be appreciated. Neal

as odd as this sounds,,try automotive rear end lube. i think it is 80w90? it works forever in the pumpkin gears and that is a hi heat application. get ahold of one of those ol fashioned oil squirt cans with the pump in it, pour some in and squirt it on. it also would be cool if you could build or modify something to enclose it and keep it in a constant bath.

{edit} something i have done since the 70's. i have and will always run heavy duty cheap industrial drive chains from the farm supply store no matter the brand of bike. i soak it overnight in gear lube and then hang it to drip the excess before throwing it in a oven and bake it in. when i take it off to clean i put it in a old crockpot with simple green or dawn dishwashing soap,cook it till clean and then repeat the soaking process and baking afterwards. i never have had a chain fail nor thrown one in forty years. usually i have two chains so there is one to go back on immediately if needed instead of waiting overnight.

Last edited:
Back