1979 model year DOHC 750 not returning to tickover ?

harley metisse

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, quick question if I may, I have a 1979 manufactured 750 DOHC 750 which at times doesn't go back to tickover when the throttle is closed.
It "hangs up" on occasion at about 3000 revs, not every time, just sometimes.
I have new inlet manifolds fitted, all appear to be good, the cables aren't snagging at all.
Any ideas.?

Hi all, quick question if I may, I have a 1979 manufactured 750 DOHC 750 which at times doesn't go back to tickover when the throttle is closed.
It "hangs up" on occasion at about 3000 revs, not every time, just sometimes.
I have new inlet manifolds fitted, all appear to be good, the cables aren't snagging at all.
Any ideas.?
How recently has it had a valve clearance check and adjustment? That and a good carburetor synchronization, with no vacuum leaks anywhere in the intake system, will usually solve this problem. Also make sure your air filter is clean -- or if it's not an original-spec filter that you've got your jetting changed to match. If not then one of the carb slides may be sticking open and that requires some internal carburetor work.

+1 to valve job, too. Made my bike run night and day different. Carb sync after is practically a must.

Back