• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Whine in engine

brettp

CB750 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, everybody, hope you're holidays were good.
I took the 750 out today and noticed a whine in the engine that picks up with engine revs. I may have narrowed it down to the valve train, but I'm not yet certain. Anybody else experience this?
I took a video and can upload it to rumble if that is requested.
Cheers.

Hey Brett, is it making the noise while you are riding or is it when sitting still and revving it up? It would be nice to here it.

Both as far as I can tell. I'll work on uploading the video today. I can hear the whine over the engine noise, but I'm also tuned until it now that I've noticed it. I hope everybody else can hear it too.

Video is here: https://rumble.com/v4865vh-cb750-dohc-engine-whine.html

As I added in the description, I think the whine is better heard towards the end of the video. I don't remember ever hearing it before, just noticed it yesterday.
The oil is rotella T4 and I adjusted the valves just a few months ago, as well as the cam chain. I mention those things because I might be hearing the whine in the valve train. I wonder if you will agree.

I could here it in the last couple of seconds of the video. Did this start after your adjustments?

Last edited:
No. Those adjustments were months ago. The most recent thing I did was change the valvolene SAE 10-40 for Rotella T4. That was maybe 4 or 5 rides ago

I have never used Rotella in a motorcycle so I can't say either way if that has something to do with it. The video was short so it was hard to tell where the noise was coming from. I guess you could try a re-adjustment on the cam chain just to eliminate that. I guess the chain could start to make that noise if it was too tight?

I know how to tighten the cam chain. How is it loosened?

I may drop the Rotella and go back to the valvoline if it gets worse.

Is it possible the oil pump would make that noise with a thicker, non-synthetic oil in it?

Like I said I was only able to here the last second or so of the video. It wouldn't hurt to go back to the other oil. Was the engine hot or cold when you noticed the noise or does it do it both hot and cold?

I only noticed it when hot. Don't remember hearing it when it was warming up, or even during the first half of the ride.
I'll listen carefully next ride and see if I can better pinpoint where it comes from.

Back