• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

where should I start with needle setting?

Curtis87

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know there may be know real answer but any ideas where I should set my needle, I have cycle x 850 kit, running stock air box. This is where my needle was set when I took my carbs apart.
IMG_2983.jpg

Maybe you should begin by giving year of bike and carb type, there's only like 500 different spec locations even on the stock needles. Then after that still a crapshoot, you put the clip where the engine runs best after trying the OEM location. Many things affect that best guess.

That's a normally leaner setting there and a potential danger but some few needles do spec at that. The normal totally unknown tuning location starts at the middle groove.

Maybe you should begin by giving year of bike and carb type, there's only like 500 different spec locations even on the stock needles. Then after that still a crapshoot, you put the clip where the engine runs best after trying the OEM location. Many things affect that best guess.

That's a normally leaner setting there and a potential danger but some few needles do spec at that. The normal totally unknown tuning location starts at the middle groove.

sorry I posted that with limited time and not really reading it through. It's a 74 engine cb750K. Stock air box ,KEIHIN carbs, all carb parts stock. Maybe I'll just start in the middle then.

Start in the middle and see how it runs. No one can really tell you what your motor will need, you gotta jet it for how it runs and what it needs.

thanks again guys, another quick question hope someone replies fast I wana build these NOW haha. Do you guys put the washer on this spring or NO spring? I saw someone online without the washer but when I took them apart they had the washer... Seems to compress the spring to its limit. IMG_3536.jpg

you need the washer so the spring doesnt get caught in the slot. I never take that piece apart because its not necessary to disassemble them that far but glad you are actually asking about questions instead of just throwing the stuff out.

you need the washer so the spring doesnt get caught in the slot. I never take that piece apart because its not necessary to disassemble them that far but glad you are actually asking about questions instead of just throwing the stuff out.

PERFECT! thanks I took it all apart to take the corrosion off and soaked everything in vinegar then reoiled, shes looking beauty now!

X2 post #6. Spring warping sideways to get in slot then loads the whole rod sideways to and then slide drags because it has sideload it's not supposed to have. .

Back