• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

When did the oil tank move to the engine

CSPark901

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So i am going to show a lot of ignorance in writing this, but I need some help. I am trying to build a scrambler out of a Honda CB750. I want a kick start and i want the one with the oil tank in the engine, not on the right side below the seat. I cant make heads or tales on what year or model i need. I keep searching and I am not finding an definitive answers. 0071 A (1).jpg0071 A (1).jpg This is my end goal except i want spokes not mags. Any help would be wonderful.

So I have now done even more searching and I agree I need the 79 or after model with the DOHC and from what I'm finding, now of those had a kickstar. Is that right?

I was just about to edit my post to say that I don't think you'll get a kickstart engine... but you beat me to it. I think I told you correctly, but I could be wrong. (Just don't get your hopes up too high.)

Only the sohc 750 motor was dry sump with the tank. They ended with the 1978 year. The dohc started in 79 but never had a kick start. The kickstart died with the sohc. You can have one or the other oil in motor or kickstart. Neither of these motors would make a good motor for a scrambler unless all you are looking for is the look, if you are looking for functionality then you need to start with a completely different bike platform.

Only the sohc 750 motor was dry sump with the tank. They ended with the 1978 year. The dohc started in 79 but never had a kick start. The kickstart died with the sohc. You can have one or the other oil in motor or kickstart. Neither of these motors would make a good motor for a scrambler unless all you are looking for is the look, if you are looking for functionality then you need to start with a completely different bike platform.

I am really going for the look. I live in the city and would just have it for fun rides around town. Thanks for all the input on this. I think i am going to have to give up the dream of the kickstart.

Is there a better bike out there you would recommend?

I am really going for the look. I live in the city and would just have it for fun rides around town. Thanks for all the input on this. I think i am going to have to give up the dream of the kickstart.

Is there a better bike out there you would recommend?
A bike better than the CB750? Never heard of any ;)

Back