Vin number problem

Singlefile43

CB750 New member
Reaction score
My neighbor is giving me her husbands old Honda cb750 since her husband just passed but I need to apply for a lost title, I'm not sure what the model or year is on it or what the vin number is? I found a number on the frame and one on the engine but neither looks like a vin. The frame says cb750-2510515 and the engine says cb750e-2025446. Are either of those the vin number I need to apply for a lost title?

The number on the frame is the VIN. It is a 1975 K5 bike but the motor is a 1972 K2. Motorcycles are always titled by the frame and not the motor.

I think you'll find that in Illinois your neighbor will be the one who meeds to apply for the lost title because the bike is likely in her husband's name, and she'll likely need a death certificate. You can get it put in your name at the same time, but it'll cost I think $90 for the lost title application and the normal $125 or whatever it is to get it put in your name.

Things may have changed, but that's what I had to do when I bought a Goldwing from a neighbor 3-4 years ago. In my case the title was electronically on record as being in my neighbor's name... the DMV will already have the VIN on record under his name, but it'll be wise to have it from the bike to be sure there's been no mistake somewhere along the line. if there's no electronic record I wonder how it might work.

Back