• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Velocity stacks?!?

AdamSanders

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So, there's countless threads on filter pods and how they don't work right, you have to adjust the carbs over and over and over to get them to work, etc etc.

My question is, what about velocity stacks?

i think they look cooler and don't cost that much more....

Here's the nicest and only ones I've found:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ck-cb750-dohc-carbs-pft-sd-cb750dohc-pft.html

Its expected that i will run into similiar issues as with the pods, wind issues etc etc. But does anyone on here have experience with the DOHC cb750 + velocity stacks?

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what was told to me and what I've found through my research. The DOHC Hondas of this era have CV carbs- ones where the throttle needle position is controlled by the amount of vacumn in the carb. This is opposed to the older mechanical slide throttle of the older carburetors. Apparently, the cv carbs are even more finicky to run without a stock airbox and filter than the slide type. You'll be constantly fiddling with it if you go with either pods or velocity stacks. The big differences between the pods and stacks are that, for one, pods add filtration to the intake so you have less worry about dust and debris and water getting into your carbs. The other difference is the way in which air is shaped and directed into the carbs. For pods the air is more turbulent because of their shape and because of the built in filter. Velocity stacks on the other hand direct air in a more uniform way so that you get more consistent performance out of the ignition. The drawback being less life for the cdarbs and engine because of the dust, and the fact that riding in the rain is out of the question. Either solution is not as ideal as using the stock airbox, especially with CV carbs. The stock airbox is designed to lessen turbulence and to give the proper amount of clean air. If you want to run stacks, consider getting slide type carbs.

I run velocity stacks on my SOHC engine with the round top carbs, it runs very well and i do ride in the rain, even been caught in heavy downpours with no issues from water being sucked into the carbs. I do have very fine mesh brass screens on the stacks. But i do agree that with the CV carbs of the DOHC engine you will have tuning issues.

thanks for the replies guys.

Tnb, the difference between the older vs newer carbs clarifies alot. It will run into identical problems. the velocity stacks i am looking at do have very fine mesh screen inside them though so i think debris wise I should be all set.

Now its just a matter of "do i want to go through the pain in the ass just to make this thing look cooler" - secondly, I have am pretty good with sheet metal so i was thinking about making a custom airbox...hmmm...

Bike rides great now so I may just leave it the way it is. we'll see.

I am not a fan of velocity stacks...I like my motors too much to subject them to lack of filtration. Yes the screen keeps the bugs and big stuff out but its the small fine material that wears out the motors internals and a screen will never stop that. open velocity stacks were never meant for street long term use, they are meant for maximum airflow with no consideration toward engine longevity.

Digger i fully agree with you on the stacks, thats why my cafe is not my daily ride. When i take the cafe out for any long runs i put a doubled up nylon stocking over the stacks to keep the fine stuff out, you really have to look hard to see there on.

Back