• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Valve Cover Gasket Question

I sprayed mine with copper coat. There's no official torque pattern, but I did mine similar to the head bolts, I think I went like 8 or 9 lbs. Then after a few hundred miles, torqued again. No leaks so far.

There's no torque there, the bolts are 'screw down to the hit and stop' then, and why they have shoulders on them. You guys need to move into the 21st century, those bolt types are 25+ years old now. The torque number even the factory service manual gives is too high as well, use 6-8 and no further, they commonly pull threads over that. Honda, Honda.............you simply run the bolt down slowly and stop when you feel the hit. Done. The rubber grommet stops them from backing out.

No sealer except possibly at any right angle changes in gasket like right around the end chromes. Silicone gasket sealer is one of the prime reasons for these motors going to the shop for oil system damage. Can't count the engines with that crap in the oil pickup. If you have say a dent or ding in the surface flat there it's OK to take a finger worth and rub it across the dent to fill it up to not leak.

Back