• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Trying to flush entire system

angela98338

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 cb750c. I bought it for cheap. It had been sitting out in the elements for awhile. Engine is seized from sitting. I want to flush the entire system with diesel fuel and marval mystery... I know to start pumping in through the oil tank... but where should I attach a discharge hose

Oh for stone age methods and half results..............................you're going to play bloody hell finding the oil tank, there is NONE. DOHCs are wet sump only.

Just sayin'........yours and do what you will..........

Oh for stone age methods and half results..............................you're going to play bloody hell finding the oil tank, there is NONE. DOHCs are wet sump only.

Just sayin'........yours and do what you will..........
I was looking for some help... not an a**hole to answer

I was looking for some help... not an a**hole to answer

The fact that you are already calling members names by your second post, with the use of profanity at that, may very well make help hard to come by. There is some wisdom in the 1st response, you just seem too "bowed up" to see it.

I don't know what sort of "flushing" you intend to do, but it likely won't free a stuck engine. More often than not, a stuck engine that is a result of simply sitting unused for a long period, is because one or more sets of piston rings have rusted and are trying to "become one" with their respective cylinder. Take the "diesel/marvel" concoction and pour it down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a week or two. Every now and then put the bike in 5th gear and rock the bike forward and back using the weight of the bike to try and free the stuck piston(s). Once it's free (or even if it won't) then you can tear the top end off and fix it. You will either need new rings, or if the corrosion is too bad, new oversize pistons too. If the rings are rusted too bad you may have rusted/pitted valves too, so head work may be called for.

If the engine is stuck as a result of something in the bottom end, then you will have to open up the lower cases. Diesel/marvel does not trump the laws of physics.

FYI: A lot of bikers are assholes. Your dealing with bikers fer chrissakes...

The fact that you are already calling members names by your second post, with the use of profanity at that, may very well make help hard to come by. There is some wisdom in the 1st response, you just seem too "bowed up" to see it.

I don't know what sort of "flushing" you intend to do, but it likely won't free a stuck engine. More often than not, a stuck engine that is a result of simply sitting unused for a long period, is because one or more sets of piston rings have rusted and are trying to "become one" with their respective cylinder. Take the "diesel/marvel" concoction and pour it down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a week or two. Every now and then put the bike in 5th gear and rock the bike forward and back using the weight of the bike to try and free the stuck piston(s). Once it's free (or even if it won't) then you can tear the top end off and fix it. You will either need new rings, or if the corrosion is too bad, new oversize pistons too. If the rings are rusted too bad you may have rusted/pitted valves too, so head work may be called for.

If the engine is stuck as a result of something in the bottom end, then you will have to open up the lower cases. Diesel/marvel does not trump the laws of physics.

FYI: A lot of bikers are assholes. Your dealing with bikers fer chrissakes...
Haha.... thank you for the good advise... thats all I was hoping for... as far as most bikers being the back end of a donkey. ... well we all have our charm

'Diesel/marvel does not trump the laws of physics.'

EXACTLY.

I say what I say having been through all of that many years ago. Any rings stuck good enough to lock up solid have pretty much trashed the liners they are in, there are those that think a bike injured like that can 'run fine' but not this boy. It's pretty much junk and comes apart or sold for scrap at my place.

I certainly understand trying to pull them back from the grave and done it enough times myself but severely locked up bikes are problems from the day you get them 'running fine'. Why I mentioned 'half results', you will not magically recoup a new bike doing that, rather one that continues to give problems. I personally set standards for my stuff quite a bit higher myself.

Others can do whatever they want, I believe I said that even..............luck.

I rescued my 74 from a snow bank in Mi. Only the bars where showing. She was frozen solid inside and out.

I filled the cylinders with Coca-Cola Classic and let it sit for a day. (Poor mans acid, careful on how long, this stuff will eat metal) Then I used the GF's turkey baster with some hose attached to suck most of it out. (Warning, she won't be happy)

Next I sprayed tons of WD-40 into the cylinders and let that soak for a day.

Next I popped off the alternator cover and bounced on the crank with my 30" Snap-On 1/2" breaker bar for about 20 minutes but it didn't come free so I spayed in some more WD-40 and let it sit another day.

The next day the engine came loose while bouncing on the breaker bar. (I mean "bouncing", I was using my foot and my entire body weight of about 180lb at that time. Don't try this with cheap tools)

So now it's free but I know there still a lot of crap in the cylinders so I jumped it with the battery out of the car and turned it over with the starter to blow out the WD-40 and other crap.(after making sure the crank would turn 2 full revolutions freely so I'd know none of the valve was stuck)

Next, repeat the blowing out several times to get as much crap out as I can.

Then I drained the oil and put on a new oil filter and spark plugs. I put in 3 qt's cheap oil and 1 qt diesel and and gave it a go and she fired up. I ran it until it was nice and hot then drained the oil and refilled it with just oil.

That was 17 years ago and I'm still riding this bike. Sure I've done a lot of work to it since then but I've never cracked the case or pulled the head. I've complete rebuilt the carbs with new parts. I had the rear wheel (Harley rim on Honda Hub) re-laced with new spokes because they started breaking. I've converted the turn signals and brake to LED. I replaced the entire ignition system and installed a Pamco.

So, don't let these guys break your spirit, give it a try. You only need to worry about the cylinders right now, not the crank case. Once it's free drain the oil, if no garbage comes out, your OK there. There's no harm in in trying and "The old ways" works just as well now as they did then.

Don't mind AMC, He's rude to everyone, but He's right too and He didn't attack you, He just answered your question in his own unique way so be nice, He did take the time to answer you.

And come on you guys, animal lard and leather bearings come straight out of the machinist handbook. Don't dismiss the "old ways" so quickly.

Don't let these guys break your spirit, give it a try. You only need to worry about the cylinders right now, not the crank case. Once it's free drain the oil, if no garbage comes out, your OK there. There's no harm in in trying and "The old ways" works just as well now as they did then.

Don't mind AMC, He's rude to everyone, but He's right too and He didn't attack you, He just answered your question in his own unique way so be nice, He did take the time to answer you.

And come on you guys, animal lard and leather bearings come straight out of the machinist handbook. Don't dismiss the "old ways" so quickly.

Most certainly, there is a possibility that once the motor is freed, it may run well enough to suit you. You won't know until it is freed up and running. Dave has spelled out the steps quite well. :cool:

'Don't dismiss the "old ways" so quickly.'

I certainly don't and the way I do things is so out of the box that it generally freaks people out. But I try to tie all to forward thinking rather than rearward. Yes, those old ideas are great and I've used them, it's just that there are new ones that are better. Many at face value seem as weak but if they work 100% and useful I do them.

People get satisfied at varying levels and if results like that float your boat then life will generally be easier as you make less demand on it. That can be a full reward but things are relative to viewpoint. Mine is apparently quite demanding, I have had to fight a perfectionist pessimist attitude all my life, it's maddening. But boy do I get results and it got me paid VERY well.

Point of fact, the pistons lock the motor harder than the rings do. The aluminum has much more contact area than the rings which in and of themselves can't stick as hard. Point of fact, rings are iron, so is cylinder, any rust to lock and cylinder walls are damaged to lose ring seal. Motor will NOT be as powerful but may 'run fine' to some. Hey, if happy with a 75 hp. engine making only 60 then go, go, go. With lower power level it may last forever.

I once knew someone who thought a 302 Mustang running in the low '11s 1/4 mile was pretty good until it was found out it was running like that with a rod broke in two pieces. I had a neighbor as well always telling me how super fast his Kawasaki 750 three was, it could beat any motorcycle out there. LOL, I finally broke down and told him it wasn't running right and tuned it up for free, it had not been even running on one cylinder the whole time he had it. When he got it back it scared him so bad he immediately sold it to me.

I LOATHE using additives of any type and consider them scams for the most part, having sold (and lied about them) for years. If one knows how to fix the machines you simply don't need them. I do no flushes or internal engine cleaning and consider it wasted time and indeed asking for more damage in the hands of the unlearned. On engines of this Honda type the top end of rod is extremely easy to bend if piston at the angle to allow it while trying to force a lockup loose. If locked that tight I would be taking it apart.

I am indeed one of the bitchiest people one could ever hope to meet (at least that's what the wife says). I am also right probably 90+% of the time which makes it even worse. That's pretty hard for a lot of people to take but since I live in my own little world I have no problems with that.

To each his own..............with 7 billion of us out there, there WILL be conflict................

Back