• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Trying to do adjustment to my clutch and im lost. I gave everything slack and then tightened it up how much slack and how tight should it feel

Dumbquestionguy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I've been having problems lately with my bike over rpms when In lowers speeds it feels like it wants to keep creeping up and slipping so I decided to give my clutch a little adjustment now I'm scared I did it wrong any advice would help please and thank you. Ps. I first started by turning the nut on the lever all the way in it wouldn't release slack so I played with the one on the clutch case till there was slack then pulled my cap off and used a 10 mm socket to loosen it up then tightened the set screw down till it felt resistance then held it in place and tightened it with a lot with a contraption I made till the lock nut was tight again

a few questions.

is your clutch cable routed properly? sometimes if they are not, it can cause binding or sticking.

did the bike sit for a long period of time without running? sometimes clutch plates will stick causing drag like what you are feeling.

do you have play at your clutch lever? you want the clutch lever to have a little slop in it. if you don't, this could cause the clutch to drag.

how old is the clutch itself? sometimes clutches just get old and need to be replaced.

a few questions.

is your clutch cable routed properly? sometimes if they are not, it can cause binding or sticking.

did the bike sit for a long period of time without running? sometimes clutch plates will stick causing drag like what you are feeling.

do you have play at your clutch lever? you want the clutch lever to have a little slop in it. if you don't, this could cause the clutch to drag.

how old is the clutch itself? sometimes clutches just get old and need to be replaced.
Bike was sitting it's whole life j found it with 2500 miles and only got 100 miles out of it so far and the clutch was froze together a mechanic shop literally kicked the f out of my gear shifter to break it free I do have a good amount of play in the clutch lever didn't have any before adjustment

You should have told that mechanic to get the f$&@ off that bike and never touch it again.

Probably half of the clutch plates are stuck together.

Take it to a different shop, have them pull the clutch plates, separate and clean them up or better yet replace them.

100% agree with Motorgrady here. when they sit, the oil seeps out of the friction disks and they pretty much glue themselves together. that "mechanic" should have known better than to just kick the f out of it. a skilled mechanic would have established well before then that there was something wrong and started to dig deeper. sounds to me like you need to replace your clutch.

Agreed. Using a bigger hammer is for at-home garage mechanics or problem areas, not certified mechanics.

You should have told that mechanic to get the f$&@ off that bike and never touch it again.

Probably half of the clutch plates are stuck together.

Take it to a different shop, have them pull the clutch plates, separate and clean them up or better yet replace them.
I bought a whole new clutch kit with new springs and everything I'm just gonna rebuild it

Back