too much?

jamiesykora

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a set of 836 domed weisco pistons for my '76 750 but they are 12.5:1 compression ratio. Is that gona be too high for reliable bike? My cam is a bit more aggressive than stock but not crazy. If so, can I cut the domes slightly to lower the compression?

You might need to add octane booster on hot days if you can't get higher than 91 where you live. Even not on a hot day, you'll probably be running a little rich to keep it from pinging (may not be enough anyway).

I think technically 11.5:1 is as far as you want to go for 91 octane.

12.5 is getting high for the gas you get today...especially in an air cooled motor. Milling the dome is an option, as well as opening the combustion chambers up...just be sure to measure and equilize all 4 chambers. You can also use thicker head and base gaskets. Timing can be backed down a bit to help with the pinging to but you will loose some performance. A lot of things contribute to how much compression you can run before you get into trouble. Take a look at modern liquid cooled street bike...my CBR954 runs 11.5:1 and runs all day long on 91 octane...but it is liquid cooled, fuel injected, etc. My CRF450 motocross bike runs 12:1 compression and I run 91 octane and never an issue. If you do carefull measurements and do accurate calculations with volumes of camber, piston dome height, valve relief volume, headgasket thickness and deck height you should be able to get it to a reasonable 10.5:1 or so compression ratio. May be worth the effort in finding someone that would buy the 12.5 pistons and buy the lower compression piston.

Back