Step 1 - How to obtain a CB750

59 Club

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I dont have a bike yet and I am on an extremely small budget. Hopefully I will come across a non running DOHC 750 for under 600. I've Been looking mainly on craigslist, but nothing has appealed to me yet. I am curious as to how everyone obtained their ventage Hondas so that I can try other methods to locate a project bike.

Wear black leather, hang out in biker bars and tell everyone you don't have a bike. I'm sure someone will help you...

Umm maybe that's not a good idea afterall. I found mine in the front yard of some guys house with a for sale sign on it. C/L is probably the best if your buds can't steer you toward one - ebay is way too expensive.

well your looking to buy a motorcycle with bicycle money, so you have to do a lot of looking. I find them a lot.

Yeah, for that money keep your expectations low. Like "Has a Title" and "Engine has compression" and get it going. Get some kind of C/L alert system. I have one on my smart phone, I get a message whenever a "cb750" or "Honda CB" shows up on C/L within a 100 mile radius.

not sure how it works in the states. out here if we cross a border, we just have the item as "gift" and there is no extra for crossing

It depends on who is asking and how you answer. you could be liable for the original import taxes from the new value of the bike

I 2nd the CL alert thing.. There are a few apps for your phone that will do it. I've found a couple of decent deals that way. I've also had good luck with posting Wanted Ads on Craigslist. I know everyone hates it, but put it in the for sale section until it gets flagged then put in the wanted section. Don't be too specific about what you want and people will email you with what they have a lot of times before even listing it on CL.

Yeah, for that money keep your expectations low. Like "Has a Title" and "Engine has compression" and get it going. Get some kind of C/L alert system. I have one on my smart phone, I get a message whenever a "cb750" or "Honda CB" shows up on C/L within a 100 mile radius.

My expectations are very low. I am not set a running bike because I would enjoy trying to figure out the problem and rebuild the engine. I think I will need to increase my budget to 1000 so I can get a DOHC and a complete bike.

I've also been looking at a 1979+ suzuki GS850. Does anyone have any objections to this bike other than the name of this forum?

The GS 850 Suzuki is one of the most reliable motorcycles ever constructed. smooth, and powerful, parts available, the only known problems are charging issues. Very strong engine. I would take one anywhere. Not as cool as Honda. some parts are quite expensive. pretty pieces for them are highly sought after. Original seat was an uncomfortable loaf. Don't be upset if its got a replacement seat on it. If I didn't collect bikes and wanted a daily rider, the GS850 / GS1000 early models are fine machines. expect to replace the alternator.

The GS 850 Suzuki is one of the most reliable motorcycles ever constructed. smooth, and powerful, parts available, the only known problems are charging issues. Very strong engine. I would take one anywhere. Not as cool as Honda. some parts are quite expensive. pretty pieces for them are highly sought after. Original seat was an uncomfortable loaf. Don't be upset if its got a replacement seat on it. If I didn't collect bikes and wanted a daily rider, the GS850 / GS1000 early models are fine machines. expect to replace the alternator.

Wow thank you! Im going to my eyes open to Suzuki. Cheap and reliable are big concerns of mine. Fast and comfortable are just beneficial

so I decided to stick with my initial likings of the HONDA cb750. Now im hunting for one on craigslist. I want one 1979 or newer. Does anyone have any suggestions on what year I should or shouldn't get?

Back