• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Starter spinning wrong direction?

hunterbooth1993

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the engine on my '92 put it all back together and the starter wasn't working. I bought a rebuild kit and it works great but it spins in the wrong direction. I put it in the bike and I can hear it spinning but it's going with the starter clutch not against so it just spins, thus not spinning the engine.
I noticed that on the rebuild kit the positive/ground brushes were oriented opposite of the original brush orientation. So my thought was the rebuild kit had opposite polarity and putting the new brushes in the old setup would make it spin correctly. Put it together and still spins the wrong way.
As far as I can tell there's no way to accidentally hook up the starter wrong in terms of polarity.
The starter is currently spinning clockwise and needs to spin counter clockwise to go against the starter clutch and turn the engine over.
I'm at a complete loss I've been working on this bike for over a year and would love to hear it run for the first time since I tore it apart, and this is the "last" step.
Any help would be appretiated thanks.

Redo the bushings. Not uncommon for instructions to be incorrect for all kinds of aftermarket parts.

We went through this recently with another member. The plate with the brushes was wrong causing the starter to run backwards. You need the correct brush holder for your application.

Back