• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rpm and gears

Dumbquestionguy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
How's it going guys I was wondering is it normal to drive around 50 mph in 5th gear doing 4 to 5k rpms If this is normal please let me know I'm used to car motors I replaced a clutch and have been through everything Im new to these motors and want to know everything but have to pace myself also it idles at lights at like 2300 to 3k

I do 60 in 5th gear, something around 5k. But your idle is supposed to be 1100.

What bike do you have, year and model? Count your teeth on the front and back sprockets. Something strange could have been done with your sprocket sizes.

Throttle cables need some slack in them or the idle will be wonky. Vacuum leaks will cause idle problems. check your vacuum port on carb #2, if leaking............

Forget about carb #2, doesn't apply here. Haven't you posted all of this before? What advice have you used so far?

No air leaks very tight
I've fixed air leaks and replaced most the seals and stuff fixed the throttle slack so its good now doesn't hang anymore you have helped me a lot so far I'm a nervous person that needs to relax and people smarter than me like you guys actually keep me from going insane because I love this bike never had a feeling for a bike like this don't want to hurt or mess it up

Throttle cables need some slack in them or the idle will be wonky. Vacuum leaks will cause idle problems. check your vacuum port on carb #2, if leaking............

Forget about carb #2, doesn't apply here. Haven't you posted all of this before? What advice have you used so far

Fixed a lot you guys have helped me out a lot

Somehow I think you have misunderstood me. There has to be slack in the throttle cables. There must be slack in the throttle cables. There should be slack in the throttle cables. The handlebar throttle should feel like it has some slack before it turns the bell crank on the carbs. The cable should move some where it meets the carbs, before it turns the carbs.

Does your choke cable work well. Does your choke fully open?
Somehow I think you have misunderstood me. There has to be slack in the throttle cables. There must be slack in the throttle cables. There should be slack in the throttle cables. The handlebar throttle should feel like it has some slack before it turns the bell crank on the carbs. The cable should move some where it meets the carbs, before it turns the carbs.
Cables and throttle have slack

Back