• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear shock lower mount fastener

jasonscb750build

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
While continuing the post buy inspections on my bike (cb750k '82), I noticed that the lower shock mount bolt appeared to be a tad bit bent. I decided to remove it to see just how bent it was and discovered that not only did it have a slight bend, but it's also just an all thread bolt. Some of the guys at work call "all thread" bolts different names but to me, an all thread is a hex head bolt with threads from under the bolt head traveling the entire length of the fastener. Now, I have noticed that one ear of the clevis is threaded, and the bolt threads through it without issue, but it seems odd to me that the lower mount would be fastened by an all thread fastener. Does anyone have aftermarket shocks installed the same way? I feel the urge to get the digital calipers out to measure the thickness of the stack up of clevis ear to shock mount to clevis ear and buy a standard bolt with a shank that properly fills the unthreaded ear of the clevis, frame mount and then starts threads going into the other clevis ear.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

I work as an aircraft mechanic and seeing all thread bolts on anything structural makes me nervous, especially at a clevis junction.

I could just be over thinking this and just go buy another one to replace the bent one bit, seems like it'd be a pretty fucking bad day if the bolt decided to shear while riding down the road.

My intention is to find all of the cheap or incorrect fasteners used during the last owners mild cafe build and replace them with either factory OEM hardware or something equivalent. I've not been able to find a clear answer after looking at the factory IPC.

All thread is a bar with no head and threads running the entire length. A bolt with threads from the head/cap to the end is the shaft is a bolt with zero shoulder. Any length of the shaft from the head/cap to the beginning of the threads is called a shoulder.

Back