• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Quickest way to free seized brakes

Explicit_Spade

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Long story short, I’m going to be picking up a 1980 CB750K next weekend. It needs some work, and it’s been sitting a long time. The seller told me that the brake calipers are seized up.

I was wondering if anyone had a quick and easy way to free them up so I can get the bike loaded up into the truck bed with ramps, and bring it home.

Remove the bolts connecting the calipers to the fork legs. You may need a block of wood and a hammer to push the calipers off of the rotors. Hang the calipers from the bike somewhere with string rope or wire so there is no stress on the brake hoses and be careful not to get the calipers or hoses caught in the wheel as you move the bike.

Good advice from @mrtwowheel

Many times the brake piston just won't retract and needs a little help. I'd bring a deadblow or rubber mallet and tap the calipers first. If that works, don't touch the brake levers or you'll have to tap them again. If they're more seized than that, remove the calipers.

Back