• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Purple Power On Keihns

I take it that you discovered this the hard way? there are a number of cleaners that will say on them "not safe for use on aluminum" or something to that effect. CLR is another one you don't want to use. simple green is ok under short term exposure, but personally I just use dawn dish soap for grease/dirt and acetone for varnished fuel. you are better off using a little bit of elbow grease instead of hoping a soak will clean them for you. this minimizes the possibility of damaging the finish.

I also learned this the hard way at one point, but thankfully it was on a snowblower carburetor. always read your cleaners because it will say what they are safe to use on or not safe to use on. straight acetone will dissolve solidified and varnished fuel which is something that a LOT of carburetors end up with after sitting for extended periods of time. acetone will also dissolve plastic that is not rated for contact with fuel, so be careful with that too. most plastic parts on carburetors are rated for fuel though.

do yourself a favor, and buy an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight. they are about $60, but work great for cleaning carbs. use a diluted mixture of simple green and dawn and let it run for like a half hour. they will come out pretty clean. any stubborn stuff you will have to scrub or dissolve, but then pop it back in the ultrasonic cleaner and run it for another half hour.

Back