• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

purchasing a project.

spontabr

CB750 New member
Reaction score
realistically what do one of these bikes run? i found a few on craigslist, one is for a grand. its a 76 cafe project, and its exactly what im looking for. the guy claims the bike ran amaznig when he pulled it apart to do the project. he sent the carbs off to be rebuilt, and had the engine gone through. currently, its sitting in peices in his garage. is a thousand to much for this? the way i look at it i would prolly spend 400-500 for a non running barn find bike unkown. i would be into cleanign and rebuilding the carbs, buying the tail section, fabricating the bump ins in the gas tank, and buying handlebars. these are all things hes done already- and they cost more then 500 to do. pic 3.jpgpic 2.jpgpic 4.jpgunnamed.jpg

It would probably be worth it in parts if nothing else. Just keep in mind beings you cant hear it run you are just taking his word for it that the engine was gone through...it looks clean but a paint job is easy to do. It probably was gone through but its a gamble in that aspect.

here was my thoughts. the engine kicks over according to him. i try that for myself, and inspect everything real good, (cracked wheels, spokes, frame, etc). it sounds weird, but there are some people that just sound like jerks on craigslist, but this guy was real awsome. we ended up talking for like a hour and a half. he just needs the garage space. there is a place called motorcycle salvage, that has around 40 of these bikes for parts. so i feel like i would be able to find an engine for cheap, or rebuild it. im glad to hear its worth it in parts of nothing else. the nice things, is it does have a clean title. alot of the bikes around here this old dont. i figure, provided the engine is solid its a good fair price.....but if the engine is downhill, then i may be backwards alittle. gamble of life, its the same gamble as hearing it run with gear oil and no knocks! on a side note, these are dry sump engines, were is the oil tank located?

Oil tank is located in the "triangle" space under the seat. I would say go for it and get it back on the road.

Back