• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Overflow tube question

kakashi1578

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all, bought my first motorcycle last week (1978 Honda CB550k) non running. After some work with the carbs, points and plugs, its finally running. However, there is something im very concerned about. When i was first cranking over the bike after reinstalling the carbs, i let the bike crank for roughly 5-10 seconds, and then i noticed that there was a lot of fuel coming out of the overflow tubes at the bottom of each carb, which then ran onto the engine and to the ground. I know this is supposed to happen if the float bowls overflow, but it seems like it happened very quickly. Is this normal? My other question is that i cant believe Honda would engineer this so that it just runs onto the engine and then onto the ground, possibly passing and dripping onto the hot exhaust and catching fire in the process. Is there some sort of tube system that carries the extra fuel back into the tank, or routes it somewhere less dangerous? If so, how is it done and how is it routed?

yes there is supposed to be rubber lines running from each carb down the back of the engine in between the engine and the swing arm. Carbs overflowing mean your needles are not seating or the floats dont float anymore or you have the float height set way too high, need to take them back off and do some checking.

X2, I have a '77 550F, there are long rubber hoses to back of motor, they trail down long enough to just dump on the street.

Probably need to clean trash out of tank. Modern fuel with ethanol on it tends to stick the needles if bike left alone for a couple weeks. I've had several problems with it. Drive it every day and fine.

Back