• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil leak at header pipe where it joins the head.

Andycb900

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I just had the top end rebuilt and the guy who did it is no longer in business.

When I started it oil came out around where the exhaust joins the head. It was also going down the exhaust pipe and very smokey.

Anyone know what's going on here as I'm not very mechanical.

Andy

Attachments

• 20240320_180536.jpg
    20240320_180536.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240320_180603.jpg
    20240320_180603.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 25
My guess is that the gasket didn't seal on the top end or if it is coming out of the port then possibly the valve isn't closing all the way or the seals aren't working.You will most likely be taking at least the exhaust off to verify a little bit more of the problem.

Oil looks really black for just being rebuilt....? There is no oil in that area so it has to be leaking from the valve stem seals or past piston rings if its in the exhaust ports or the valve cover is leaking and trailing down the pipe. If you dont have an external leak it about has to be coming from the inside. If you pull the exhaust you can see if the exhaust port is wet with oil, if it is its burning it by piston rings or leaking valve stem seals. You would be able to see if the seals are leaking as the exhaust valve stems will be wet looking. Either way if its definitely not an external leak the engine will need to come out again to pull it back down.

Hi, thanks for the info. I too thought the oil looked pretty black. The engine is not run in at all and the guy who built it said it would just be some oil blowing back through the rings as they have not seated in yet. Is that also a possibility?

I believe that is a possibility. I'm not talking from experience, I'm talking from others' experience. Yes, the rings need to seat so blowby is possible. If I were you, I'd now be curious what the break-in procedure is.

Back