• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil behind ignition cover??

breakbeatz69

Banned
Reaction score
Title says it all. I’m just curious, with this new to me 81’ cb750c, is there supposed to be some oil behind the ignition system? Or is there a seal in there that I need to replace to keep the oil out? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance, you guys all rock!

there is a seal on the throttle-side of the crankcase to keep oil from reaching the generator rotor and stator, however there is NOT a seal on the clutch-side. I would expect to see oil in with the starter clutch, pick-up coil and rotor.
engine seal.JPG

there is a seal on the throttle-side of the crankcase to keep oil from reaching the generator rotor and stator, however there is NOT a seal on the clutch-side. I would expect to see oil in with the starter clutch, pick-up coil and rotor.
And by pick up coil you’re talking about the clutch side cover that houses the ignition system? So there should be a little oil in there?

And by pick up coil you’re talking about the clutch side cover that houses the ignition system? So there should be a little oil in there?

If you are referring to this as the ignition system, then yes. behind all of those components there is an oil return passage (shown in second image) to allow oil back to the oil pan.

pickup coil.JPG

here is a photo of what is behind all of those components and you will be able to see the hole where oil can flow through just below the crankshaft journal.engine case.jpg

to clarify, this is not the ignition system though. when referring to the ignition system, you are referring to everything involved as a whole. this would include the CDI box, pick-up coil, rotor, ignition coils, spark plugs, etc... the pick-up coil and rotor are housed together inside that one case cover and are just a part of the system.

Ok good. Thanks for the help. This my first cb750 that I’m chopping so I’m still trying to get a grasp on this engine. I’ve done bunch of Yamaha xs650 choppers and typically there’s contact points behind that cover and there’s an oil seal to keep oil out. Later years of those bikes had a CDI Ignition so I guess I’m just use to calling it the ignition. I do obviously understand though that there’s a bunch of components that make up the ignition system. Thank you again for your help and clarification. Much appreciated man!

Back