• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Left Crankcase Cover - Oil

fallawc

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 1979 CB750 10th anniversary edition.This afternoon I went to remove the left crankcase cover that sits to the left of the oil pump and houses the spark advancer. Of course, I’m in a hurry, and not paying attention or thinking correctly, and remove the 8 bolts and cover, only to have about a quart of oil drain onto my garage floor. 🙄

Being that this is my first bike, I wanted to confirm that this is normal for oil to be in the left crankcase cover? Also, when replacing the cover, is there is way to replace it correctly?

Because of this, I’ll likely need to drain and refill the oil to ensure I have the required 3.5 quarts.

Thanks for any advice!

Totally normal, it should have oil in it, but I've never had a full quart come out. Did you remove it while the bike was on the sidestand? All engine work should be done on the center stand.

Replacing the cover correctly means cleaning the gasket surfaces, using an inch-pound torque wrench on all the bolts, and installing a new paper gasket.

Back