New to the forum and already askung for help...

j2dawson

CB750 Member
Reaction score
New to the forum and already asking for help...

I've started restoring a 1976 CB750A. It hasn't been started since 1989 so you can imagine what the tank, carbs, and brakes looked like. I got those straightened out, changed the oil and plugs - the bike started right up.

I found a leaky float bowl that I fixed with JB Weld. It blew about 2 pounds of crap out the muffler but runs reasonably well. The problem is that although the shift lever and light tell me that it is in neutral, the rear wheel spins like crazy. When I apply the rear brake the engine tries to stall. It is in gear and I don't know what the problem is.

Any Hondamatic experts that can offer advice?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
I would try removing the neutral switch and cleaning or just replace it,could be frozen from sitting so long
Also does it still try to die when you pull in the clutch?

Is the idle speed kicker working? When you put the auto's in gear there is a vacuum kicker on the carb that kicks the idle up to keep it from killing the motor when stopped and in gear.

Is the idle speed kicker working? When you put the auto's in gear there is a vacuum kicker on the carb that kicks the idle up to keep it from killing the motor when stopped and in gear.
It must have been from sitting for so long as it's doing ok in neutral now.

I can't tell if it is working or not but I suspect it isn't as I have twist the throttle when I stop the bike while in gear.

I don't know how to check to see if the idle speed kicker is working or not.

There is a vacuum motor on the carbs. When you put it into gear you should see it move the throttle. If it doesn't move then you need to start the trouble shooting and see why. Check the vacuum lines and the vacuum motor first.

Back