• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Looking for an engine shop anywhere in the U.S.

Colddog

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi Members,
I'm a new old guy on the Forum. I work overseas and still had to buy two CB750's on eBay. I would like to get one engine rebuilt and, since (if I knew how) I cannot do that in Baghdad, Iraq, where I'm currently working. I am looking for a shop that will undertake just rebuilding (and adding some upgrades) to the engine of one of my bikes. I've tried Dynoman in TX. and they say they don't have time, and haven't heard back from CycleX in WI.; Randy's cycle shop in VA. apparently won't deviate from stock (I want a 836 Wiseco kit, electronic ignition, mild performance cam, new carbs, and an m unit from moto cognito). The bike is in WI., but I'll ship the motor anywhere in the U.S.; I would like to get the engine done before I ship the bike to Alaska since I don't think they have the expertise up there.
Thanks for your help.

Notice: Effective 12-14-2012

Cycle X will not be offering or rebuilding complete motors any longer. Our services will consist of reconditioned motor parts.

Got that right off the CycleX page.

I did find this though http://www.m3racing.com/

Click the products and services and follow it to engine building and it says "call for quotes" but there is no phone number on the entire sight. There is the email address Mark@M3Racing.com and a search of their listed physical address did lead to an active facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/M3Racing.AMAProFlatTrack/

Just putting this out there...I have had a bad dealing with M3, had a part fail that they design and build, they said well its a racing part no warranty tuff luck. Have heard bad things about customer service and not receiving parts after payment sent. Take it for what its worth. They pretty much do just road racing engines but dont know if I would trust them. I would call Ken at cycle x, they do motor builds here and there when they have slack time they just dont want to be doing dozens of them. Colddog...what kind of time frame are you looking at for wanting to build the motor?

I'm not in a hurry but I work in Baghdad and it is difficult (but not impossible) to call, so I depend a lot on e-mail. I can call Ken at CycleX if that is what it will take.
Thanks for the info on M3; have written them and will see what they say.

Ken doesn't respond to email very often, about the only way to get a hold of them is by phone. I didn't have a link off hand for Honda man but he would be another good choice. Thanks for the link madmtmotors:thumbsup:

Dirtdigger,
Dave (another member, above) has just let me know that CycleX is (per their web page), not doing just engine builds any longer. Will keep looking.

I'd be willing to bet that custom full engine building is another one of those things that is rapidly dying. The people that commonly want it (doesn't sound like that here at all) are the ones that often then think it cost too much and then try to avoid some if not all payment and why many quit doing it. Simply too hard to collect for all the wasted time when the motor does not go together or run well due to this or that stipulation made by those who have not a clue as to how to organize engine parts to succeed. A dying art just like competent boring is. There will be those who still do it but megabucks getting them to do so. Just knowing how to build an engine to where it doesn't blow up in five minutes is getting rare, really.

We did a lot of the same stuff with high-perf car engines and the number of people who then try to stiff you? Well, it was enough I walked away from getting Dad's high-perf garage for free, we did lots of work for lots of people but people and the way they are just turned me off. I got tired of us being blamed when the vehicle owner was commonly the cause of issue(s), and why they can't build those things successfully themselves (again, I don't see anything like that here). A lot of people who want that work are seedy and will shaft you in the blink of an eye, we had to be on guard for it all the time. In contrast, building the engines was a piece of cake and the success rate was extremely high, it was the people problem that folded the shop eventually.

I've talked to M3 in the past, and I got the idea they were way more haughty than they needed to be, not impressed as well. If they act like that when you talk possibilities then they will be worse when you pull the trigger.

Just putting this out there...I have had a bad dealing with M3, had a part fail that they design and build, they said well its a racing part no warranty tuff luck. Have heard bad things about customer service and not receiving parts after payment sent. Take it for what its worth. They pretty much do just road racing engines but dont know if I would trust them. I would call Ken at cycle x, they do motor builds here and there when they have slack time they just dont want to be doing dozens of them. Colddog...what kind of time frame are you looking at for wanting to build the motor?

I'd listen to these guys. I just found M3 with google, this guy has experience with them. Try the link Madman posted.

Dirtdigger,
Dave (another member, above) has just let me know that CycleX is (per their web page), not doing just engine builds any longer. Will keep looking.

Understand...they dont do mass rebuilds anymore but they will do one or two here and there as they have time, just give them a call and ask for Ken and see if they have the time to do a build....with there parts. They just focus primarily on parts. I am also hoping you have done a rough figure of parts, machining and labor for the rebuild...the 750 can get expensive fast, especially if you start throwing some performance parts in there. if you are going 836 and a bigger cam then you should have a mild port job with good valves, otherwise you are just choking down those new cc's. Then you need to look at stronger chains inside and at least new connecting rod bolts(or cycle x super rods would be better route) and undercut transmission to handle the extra power. Go with the electronic ignition but skip the carbs and put that money into the motor...stock carbs are more then adequate for just a 836.

CB750 Shop

Roger that; will call CycleX and ask for Ken. I was looking on their website for DOHC modifications and they mention their own 823 big-bore kit. Do you know how this stacks up against the Wiseco 836 unit for reliability and quality (am not concerned about any small performance differences)?

cant use dohc stuff in the sohc. 836 kits are for sohc are you building dohc motor or sohc??

Back