• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Led turn signal wiring

Tyler750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, my first post here. I have a 1980 cb750c and am turning it into a café racer. Right now I am working on the wiring for led turn signals and a aftermarket Speedo and tac. I am having an issue with getting the blinkers to work.
What does work,
Neutral light
High beam
Oil light
And backlights
So basically everything but the blinkers and the blinker indicator light.
I have installed a led flasher relay and attempted to install a diode. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're rewiring blinkers that each have their own indicator, you don't need a diode. If you're using a single indicator, then you sure do.
When I rewired mine, I had a few times they didn't work. It was usually a bad ground, or a ground not connected. But I did have an issue with the running lights screwing up the blinkers so I disconnected the running light circuit.

I do have a single indicator, the new blinkers worked with the old gauge cluster (had two indicator light for right and left) however with the new cluster that has a single indicator it doesn’t work. The lights turn on each side, but do not flash. Already have a new flasher.

I've had to use both an LED flasher AND a resistor to make stuff like that work before

Not really. I would try on each side of the flasher, if the first side doesn't work maybe the other will

Ok so I hooked up the diode and no blinkers worked. She. I flipped left and right they from and back blinkers lit up with the corresponding side but didn’t flash. I tried switching the flasher relay but that didn’t work. Also tried switching the diode ends but that didn’t work either. Is it possible that I have something hooked up wrong with the diode?

Attachments

• CDCA827A-D6D2-4E6D-B696-67871C24FC30.jpeg
    CDCA827A-D6D2-4E6D-B696-67871C24FC30.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 33
If they lit up on the correct side and your indicator worked, your diode is correct. The flashing problem is a resistor issue. There are a couple options: try a different flasher (a lot of Chinese crap doesn't work out of the box) or place a resistor on the blinker circuit.

Ok well I’m not sure if the indicator works, it doesn’t light up when I switch the indicator left or right. If I reverse the flasher only the back blinkers light up (both sides at the same time) and so does the indicator light.

Ok well I’m not sure if the indicator works, it doesn’t light up when I switch the indicator left or right. If I reverse the flasher only the back blinkers light up (both sides at the same time) and so does the indicator light.
Ok, then your diode is incorrect for the indicator light.
Get that working before you mess with the flasher

Ok I have been at this for 6hrs+ trying everything. Multiple diodes flashers and switching wires all over the place. I have checked all my fuses non are blown. It is only when I put this new cluster on my bike the signals stoped working. Looking for any other advice anyone can give.

I’m having a similar issue with some led signals I installed on my 92 750. I put a new led relay. They’re 3 wire signals, unplugged my dash indicator light because it was causing them to all flash at once. That fixed the problem, or so I thought until I reassembled everything and turned the bike on. Now the running lights work but as soon as I turn any indicator on, that side will dim and kind of flicker a little bit. I’ve now pulled it all apart multiple times. Checked and cleaned grounds and for pinched wires. Cleaned switch connections. If tried disconnecting the running lights well and cannot get them to work again. Put the old relay on and same thing happens. My plan is to try resistors next in each light and add diodes for the dash indicator and see if that does it. I just can’t understand how everything functioned initially and now they’re all dim when I turn a signal on.

That sounds like a diode problem, could also be a low charged battery. I ran into a similar problem and once I started the bike at let it run for a bit they worked perfectly. Although I didn’t have running lights and turn signals, just amber turn signals that stayed on as running lights when not flashing.

That sounds like a diode problem, could also be a low charged battery. I ran into a similar problem and once I started the bike at let it run for a bit they worked perfectly. Although I didn’t have running lights and turn signals, just amber turn signals that stayed on as running lights when not flashing.

Oddly enough last night they came on and were functioning properly after changing nothing. Removed the tail today to put new shocks on, didn’t unplug anything but now again they’re back to not functioning. I may just go through and clean all of the barrel connectors with a small wire brush if I can find something to fit in there and see if that helps anything. Battery was reading 12.56v and has been on a trickle charger but it could very well be a battery issue since I did ride the bike an hour or so before I noticed them working properly last nigh. Also, only the fronts have the running light option wire but the rears still turn on as running lights if the fronts are plugged in, is that normal? The running light wire on the rear light’s aren’t connected to anything since there’s only the signal wire. I do not recall my old ones being on as running lights either but then again they were also aftermarket standard bulb, 2 wire marker lights so the running light wire was disconnected all together. I guess I don’t understand the circuitry involved to only need the hookup on one end of the bike and it effect both ends without there being any visible connection to a running wire in the rear.
I’ll be heading to Daytona Wednesday where I’ll be on the bike plenty over the next week. I will take note if they start working after running and charging the battery or if anything else changes.

Oddly enough last night they came on and were functioning properly after changing nothing. Removed the tail today to put new shocks on, didn’t unplug anything but now again they’re back to not functioning. I may just go through and clean all of the barrel connectors with a small wire brush if I can find something to fit in there and see if that helps anything. Battery was reading 12.56v and has been on a trickle charger but it could very well be a battery issue since I did ride the bike an hour or so before I noticed them working properly last nigh. Also, only the fronts have the running light option wire but the rears still turn on as running lights if the fronts are plugged in, is that normal? The running light wire on the rear light’s aren’t connected to anything since there’s only the signal wire. I do not recall my old ones being on as running lights either but then again they were also aftermarket standard bulb, 2 wire marker lights so the running light wire was disconnected all together. I guess I don’t understand the circuitry involved to only need the hookup on one end of the bike and it effect both ends without there being any visible connection to a running wire in the rear.
I’ll be heading to Daytona Wednesday where I’ll be on the bike plenty over the next week. I will take note if they start working after running and charging the battery or if anything else changes.
If they’re dim they need a resistor

Can easily enough get resistors and diodes at an electronics store, soldering iron, and bobs your uncle

Quick update on my end, after a week of riding around they have been working totally fine while the bike is running. So it may just be a weak battery that even though it was reading 12.5v when the bike is off maybe it just wasn’t enough to allow proper signal function. Ordered some diodes that I’ll install for my indicator light since I was caught riding around with my signal on multiple times. 😬

Back