• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

K0 Not Firing on 4 Cylinders

Eljay

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have a December 1969 K0 which I have fully re-built in engine and cycle parts but I cannot get it to run on all four cylinders. I can get sparks on all 4 plugs when I cycle the starter plugs out but when all plugs are installed only cylinders 2 and 3 fire up.

I have cleaned the carburettors and jets umpteem times and fitted new floats correctly adjusted for fuel level as I found one leaking. I have fitted new coils, plug leads, plugs and plug caps. I see sparks at the points and have checked the timing umpteem times.

I know it is taking fuel as I have an external tank where I can see fuel level dropping.

When I bought it in California it had a 4 into 1 exhaust system which I have changed back to the original 4 set up. Even if the jetting was wrong I would expect a fire up on all 4 cylinders but only on 2 and 3. I need some help please. Could it be a faulty condenser.? but I get sparks at the plugs when testing. HELP
Les from Italy

you can see spark sometimes but when running you really shouldnt see sparking. I would suggest new honda point set and condensors or go with an aftermarket slectronic ignition if you want trouble free no maintenance.

Hi Dirtdigger. Thanks for the reply. If you mean the points, when I separate with a small screwdriver I get a spark. When running I don't see anything but you are heading me in the direction to new points and condensers. I have spent thousands of dollars in this re-build so what's not to try a new points set and condensers, I will try that as I want to keep the K0 as parts original as possible.

Thanks and Regards
Les from Italy

I would still go electric ignition. you are not permanently modifying anything and you wont have to adjust points or worry about them going out of tune.

you can see spark sometimes but when running you really shouldnt see sparking. I would suggest new honda point set and condensors or go with an aftermarket slectronic ignition if you want trouble free no maintenance.
What are the most reliable options for aftermarket electrical ignition?

Bruno - Switzerland.
Have you tried measuring the cylinder compression? I would say that's the first thing to do.
Second, check that the valve clearances are correct.
Only after these points can you move on to the next step.
Ciao

Back